• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

alligator snapper in my yard I picked up

All_American

5 Year Member
Well, this was one mean mo fo, picked up to take a quick shot of him before I let him go back out in the yard. He was some ways away from any water sorces.

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Here is a picture of an alligator snapper: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Alligator_snapping_turtle.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... turtle.jpg</a><!-- m -->

That sucker would have made great turtle soup! :drool

...Jefroka

G

Old topic, but yup that's just a common. Alligators have a hooked upper beak, and can't reach with their necks. Commons are able to hit 3/4 of their shell.

Also, if anyone picks up a snapper, please never do it by tail. I'm not sure if anyone did, but it really isn't good for them (potential damage to spine). The best way to handle a medium to large common snapper is to grab the top shell just over their back legs, there is a natural pocket, they can't bite you there, and can't easily claw you.

I've had a common snapper that I've taken care of since he was a hatchling, and he has never shown any aggression. Speaking of which, they won't be aggressive unless they are on land.

Random bits I know, but just looking out for the snapper.

G

We used to jug turtles for soup ... Tie fishing line to a Clorox bottle bate it with worms and toss them out in ponds .. The jugs with no turtle would blow to shore .. those with the turtle would be out in the middle .. I would then wade in and while holding on the line feel the top of the shell [the ridges point to the back ] Then collect the turtle ... I once caught one almost as big as a garbage can lid .. Being a kid my friend and I drug it out of the pond backwards and tied it to a tree .. Too heavy for us to lift my father came and collected it .... With help of my parents we took it to school and showed it off ..I had the skull for decades it was as big as a ball cap bill and all .......I also kept hatchlings in one of those little plastic turtle [bowls ] They would eat worms and such and after the summer I released them into the river where they were found ..... They bite like dobermans..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980