• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

am i wrong???ok

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok I'm under the impression that during brumation a reptiles slows down on activity ie. Basking, eating ect., I have a few people in a reptile group who thinks that brumation is when a reptile is asleep for the winter and that no reptile can hibernate, also that no reptile should be offered food during brumation, not even tegus, they say that by keeping a light on my tegus even though they are semi active is preventing them from brumating, am I wrong because i don[/align]'t agree?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tell them to do some research on the differences between Hibernation, Brumation, plus those in between and get back to you on that.

If reptiles don't hibernate or brumate how do they survive in areas with high and low temps here in the states and else were.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What they said is no reptile hibernates, what we see our tegus doing in the winter when they sleep straight through is brumation, they gave me a wiki link , this I were it got interesting this is a quote from that link

"Brumation should not be confused with hibernation; when mammals hibernate, they are actually asleep; when reptiles brumate, they are less active, and their metabolism slows down so they just do not need to eat as often. Reptiles can often go through the whole winter without eating"

I stated to them tha these are the things that tegus do and they actually sleep without moving, I also mentioned temps, conditions ect in their natural habitat, they are actually asleep, but they still want to argue that its just brumation and that a lot of reptiles do this in variou areas I just left it alone

Hybrid

reptastic said:
What they said is no reptile hibernates, what we see our tegus doing in the winter when they sleep straight through is brumation, they gave me a wiki link , this I were it got interesting this is a quote from that link

"Brumation should not be confused with hibernation; when mammals hibernate, they are actually asleep; when reptiles brumate, they are less active, and their metabolism slows down so they just do not need to eat as often. Reptiles can often go through the whole winter without eating"

I stated to them tha these are the things that tegus do and they actually sleep without moving, I also mentioned temps, conditions ect in their natural habitat, they are actually asleep, but they still want to argue that its just brumation and that a lot of reptiles do this in variou areas I just left it alone
I always thought reptiles can only brumate too before I came here. When I was told tegus hibernate, I was very confused.

Orion

5 Year Member
You are not wrong they are. You have proof from more than one source on this website. I offer my Tegus food everyday. My female Tiny has only had 2 bites of food for over 2 months she only comes out every other day. My other female eats a little once a week. Neither female has shed in months but are awake almost evey other day or so, My Male has only slept 1 day and eats almost every other day. These lizards are not growing as a matter of fact they are getting skinner. But I know from experience they will be back to their old insatiable appetites in the matter of a few weeks. Those folks on the other board my have very little experience or limited exposure to anything other than a bearded dragon.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Orion said:
You are not wrong they are. You have proof from more than one source on this website. I offer my Tegus food everyday. My female Tiny has only had 2 bites of food for over 2 months she only comes out every other day. My other female eats a little once a week. Neither female has shed in months but are awake almost evey other day or so, My Male has only slept 1 day and eats almost every other day. These lizards are not growing as a matter of fact they are getting skinner. But I know from experience they will be back to their old insatiable appetites in the matter of a few weeks. Those folks on the other board my have very little experience or limited exposure to anything other than a bearded dragon.

Are you saying your tegus are hibernating?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is what one person said andi quote " a healthy brumating reptile does not loose weight when brumating, when your tegu goes underground and sleep he is brumating" wait what? When rayne went down, she was down about 3.5 mosand occaisionally came up, she lost weight, every tegu keeper I have seen when their tegus go down when they wake up they are much skinnier, they can argue all they want but not one has ever kept a tegu nor have they done research, they are still speaking on their geckos and beardies a whole seperate spefie from a whole different region

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There's very little difference between hibernating and brumating, whether it's a reptile or mammal. Besides activity level and how deeply they're in torpor. But even in hibernation not all mammals are in a comatose state.

So how can they say because it's a reptile and not a mammal it can't hibernate it has to be brumation. When they're doing the same thing.

Which is why I said tell them to do some research on the differences between the two and what's in between. Even though they probably won't since research requires more than one source to support your info.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Exactly bubblz, acording to them if I feed my tegu's when they are brumating(by my standards) I'm slowly killing them, I asked them if any of them kept or did research on tegus, I still haven't gotten an answer just more I'm wrong and speading false information

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok I just got these messages 1) its biologically impossible for a tegu to hibernate 2) they aren't actually sleep they just slowed down 3)a vet told 1member hibernation is a word used for brumation so they technically don't hibernate 4) their metabolism is slowed down it dosent stop like mammals 5) bobby hill and bert langerwolf are wrong and I'm basically ignorant for spreading the information I learned from them.....WOW!!! The biggest problem I have is not one of them has ever owned a tegu or did research on them, they kept comparing what we call hibernationin tegus to what they call brumation in beardies and gecko species, 3 animals from different regions, very different behaviour everything about them is different but "I'm wrong and they are right" is how one member put it

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
Ok I just got these messages 1) its biologically impossible for a tegu to hibernate (Why)2) they aren't actually sleep they just slowed down (they both sleep to different degrees)3)a vet told 1member hibernation is a word used for brumation so they technically don't hibernate (which means they are pretty much the same thing but slightly different. Was it a Vet that specializes in Reptiles?)4) their metabolism is slowed down it dosent stop like mammals (mammals metabolism doesn't stop in hibernation either. That's why they fatten up before hibernation)5) bobby hill and bert langerwolf are wrong and I'm basically ignorant for spreading the information I learned from them.....WOW!!! The biggest problem I have is not one of them has ever owned a tegu or did research on them, they kept comparing what we call hibernationin tegus to what they call brumation in beardies and gecko species, 3 animals from different regions, very different behaviour everything about them is different but "I'm wrong and they are right" is how one member put it

As for the last comment usually when people have nothing better to say, can't prove or back up what they're saying they get frustrated and resort to insults.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hear say is hear say,.. where is their proof, put up or shut up. If you haven't already I would provide some links that support the fact that reptiles hibernate. For me,.. " If you know something I don't know and can prove it. Then by all means help me out, enlighten instead of insult me". I mean Education is a part of what forum communities are for right.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The only thing they provided other than babble were 2 wiki link one on hibernation and 1 on 1 brumation the quote in my previous post was an exerp from the hibernation link, I couldnt post links because I'm on a mobile phone, I found it sad that I'm being called basically stupid because I refuse to share there beliefs, like I stated to them I have been doing reseach on tegus since 2007, not just googling care sheets as they put it, but actually talking with keepers who have sucessfully kept and bred tegus from many years, I don't see their tegus dying off, I told them basically ill stick to the experts, then I was asked why I keep reffering to tegus, my answer was because you keep saying no reptile can hibernate yet I have reptile that has been scientifically proven to do just that, but I gues in their eyes I'm still wrong, but no one can actually p0rove to me otherwise

AP27

Many reptile species do not hibernate, and only brumate. But hibernation is physically possible in some reptile species. I.e. tegus, some box turtles and tortoises and a few other burrowing species. If they are too ignorant to except what is a scientifically proven fact, I would just drop it. Doesn't sound worth the trouble to argue about it to me when they obviously aren't willing to take any other point of view. Though there are many sights and facts you could quote to them that state this. And the term 'hibernation' was actually originally coined to refer to cold blooded species.

"[Hibernation] A term generally applied to a condition of dormancy and torpor found in cold-blooded (poikilotherm) vertebrates and invertebrates. (The term is also applied to relatively few species of mammals and birds, which are warm-blooded vertebrates.) This rather universal phenomenon can be readily seen when body temperatures of poikilotherm animals drop in a parallel relation to ambient environmental temperatures."

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/hibernation#ixzz1o1m0z0oA

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol ap27 now the main guy who has been telling me i m wrong and reptiles can't hibernate this was his response to the link " hibernation isn't inaccurate its just when reffering to reptiles the term brumation should be applied" wait if hibernation is accurate and brumation is the preffered term then basically you are saying they are the same thing now? Its funny how when you provide scientific basis they change up

By the way he provided a link to lll reptiles were they had a description of brumation which almost mirrored your link they replaced hibernation with brumation and dratically shortened it

AP27

Well they're still wrong. Hibernation and brumation, though somewhat similar, are different. To refer to a hibernating animal as only brumating would be inaccurate. That implies that the animal is still occasionally taking food and still somewhat active, which hibernating animals do/are not. I still don't think you'll fully win this debate with them( for reasons entirely on their part) but at least you managed to fluster them and make them change their story lol
Also, this was taken from lll reptile's article on brumation:

"Brumation is a term used for the hibernation-like state that cold-blooded animals utilize during very cold weather."

That statement in itself proves that brumation and hibernation are different. And that using 'brumation' as a substitute for 'hibernation' would be incorrect.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you ap27, this all started because I posted that my female tegu hibernated and didn't eat this past winter and my male just brumated he ate once a week at the most twice, that link really shut em up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980