• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ambient air temps for B&W Argentine Tegu

BrandonM

Hello Everyone,
I have done a ton of research but the biggest thing that people don’t seem to talk about are ambient air temperatures. All of the information that I find is for basking spot heat. Anyways, what are everyone’s thoughts on a safe range for ambient air temperatures/the gradient? I measure temperatures with a temp gun, but that is only measuring the temperatures of the substrate and not the ambient air temps. My thermometer/hygrometer(humidity has stayed between 70-85 without listing yet)is showing between 95-100 in the middle. My temp gun on the other hand is showing 90-95 on the hot side, 85-90 in the middle, and 75-80 on the cool side. Under the substrate is showing 80 on the hot side, 75-80 in the middle and 70-75 on the cool side. So, I am having a dilemma as to whether I should take my 160w powersun back and get a 100w because my basking spot is 105-110. Below is all the information I can provide for getting help. I want to strive to take the absolute best care that I can of my little guy. Added note this is from 10hrs of his light being on today while monitoring every 30 minutes.

What kind of tegu do you have?B&W Argentine Tegu
How old is your tegu?unsure of age
How large is your tegu?8 1/2” from snout to vent
What is the sex of your tegu? Was told a male from breeder
How long have you had your tegu? 6 days
Does your tegu brumate or hibernate? Unsure at this time
What size enclosure do you have? 4x2x2
What kind of substrate is used?Reptichip
What kind of UVB do you use (brand and coil vs bulb vs tube)?Zoomed 160w powersun bulb
What is the wattage of your bulb?160w
How old is your bulb? 2days old
How far away is the UVB?12”
Do you use a separate bulb for heat? What is the wattage?N/A
What are the temps (basking and cool side)?basking 105-110 cool side is 75-80
What do you use to measure the temps?All living things temp gun
What is your humidity? What do you use to measure it?Vivarium Electronics Thermometer/Hygrometer
What do you feed your tegu? I have ground turkey/Dubias/Superworm but he hasn’t ate since we have got him even though we have offered when he is out but don’t want to disturb him too much.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?cant answer at this time
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? Have both but haven’t had the chance since he hasn’t ate yet
What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?N/A
Does your tegu have regular BM's?N/A
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?Not yet waiting for him to settle in.
Does your tegu share and enclosure with another tegu?Negative

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Brandon and welcome. On this site there are scads of threads discussing the importance of a thermal gradient going from the basking area to general ambient to hide.

Also threads on winter cool down.

BrandonM

Should I try searching a different way? because all I find is people keeping track with a temp gun which is not actually giving ambient air temps. Or I run across basking temps which I haven’t found one thread or article on google that is consistent. I just want to make sure that my tank is not getting too hot.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
110-115f is good for basking. Mid-80s f ambient. Hide, at other end, should be low-mid 70s f.

BrandonM

Awesome thank you for the help that tells me that I need to take the 160w back and get the 100w and just move his basking spot up in steps so he has a choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi