• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ameiva breeding project update.

ameivafan123

Hi everybody, I just wanted to do an update on my breeding project that I started about a year ago. about two and a half years ago I took interest in reptiles and thought that ameivas were some cool little lizards. As I said before I live in Puerto Rico and we have a type of ameiva (ameiva exsul or Puerto rican ground lizard) that grow slightly smaller than there south american counter parts (ameiva ameiva) and I caught a male that was about 4 months old about 10 months ago and joined Tegu Talk. Allot of people have been helpful and nice. But in the past year I done some research and with hands on experience ive learned allot about these unappreciated animals. I've written a care sheet but unfortunately its in Spanish but i will make and English version to share with you guys soon. I have a one year old ameiva as i said it is a male and now that Every single detail on their husbandry and care I'm planning to breed them next year. there really fast and hard to catch on the wild so I haven't been able to get a decent female for next year but I've ordered a female green ameiva that arrives in two days and if i can't catch my female I will try to make hybrids. I'm really exited for next year and for my ameiva to arrive. I will keep you guys updated and if you have any questions about ameivas don't be afraid to ask ;)

Attachments

• Raptor La Ameiva.jpg
    Raptor La Ameiva.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 115

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update on this project! I hope you can humanely catch a female so you don't have to breed hybrids. You'll probably have much better results with the two natives. Good luck!
If you need help translating the care sheet, let me know. That would be a great resource to have available on TeguTalk. I'm sure everyone would love to learn more about these beautiful lizards

ameivafan123

thanks. Yeah, I will try to catch the female safely. I don't know much about genetics but I've heard hybrids can have many problems genetically so the Green that I ordered (That Arrives tomorrow morning!!!!) will be just a pet for now. Its really exiting because I have never seen a green ameiva in person before. I've read about them and seen pictures but never seen one. Oh Josh, I was just checking out the care sheet and saw that the care sheet was written in english! I remembered that I wrote it in english and was thinking of translating it to spanish. So I said that the other way. LOL So that care sheet is coming soon and more updated pictures of him (Raptor) beacouse thats him in my profile pic but in the past months he has changed color and head shape and of course pictures of his new cage mate that arrives tomorrow!

ameivafan123

She's here!!!!! It arrived 2 hours ago. She's in perfect condition and very active, already ate a couple of meal worms. I was kind of worried when it arrived beacause I got her from the infamous reptile city. I read about them two days later and saw a lot of horrible reviews about them but I thank God shes healthy. I couldn't get a pic of Raptor because he was sleeping under his water dish :)

Attachments

• Monacillo Urbano-20130612-00457.jpg
    Monacillo Urbano-20130612-00457.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 157

ameivafan123

I named her Mossy because of the green on her back. There she is digging under a piece of wood :) I tried to handle her now and I think she's really used to humans because she crawls and lays in th palm of my hand although she is not very happy if you grab her. I'm gonna let her alone for a couple days before I start handling her again :)

Attachments

• green ameiva mossy.jpg
    green ameiva mossy.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 85

ameivafan123

Ok so its 11:53 pm in PR right now and I was in the front yard with my doggy that had to use the toilet (LOL) and just for fun I flipped over a rock and found a female ameiva. I grabbed her. I went in my room and I put her in a 10 gallon for the night. When i got a clearer view of her I realized that she was gravid! But now Im worried that the way I grabbed her was a little to aggressive and now Im hitting myself in the head for not being more careful :( I hope that at least 1 or 2 eggs make it out ok. Its late in the season and Ive seen some newborns running arround the neighbors front yards so if shes trully gravid its possible that she might lay eggs in one or two weeks. When she lays if she lays I will put the eggs in my incubator and let her go. :)

ameivafan123

Oh and Since I first joined tegu talk Ive always said that my first ameiva (Raptor) was a male. Well I was wrong all this time and it took me almost a year to figure that out. LOL. Raptor is a female no doubt in my mind 100% sure. I feel guilty. I lied to myself saying that she was a male :( I'm just kidding Im just bored LOL. She is a female though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980