• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

another substrate question...

kurtle55

5 Year Member
So i have a bunch of aspen bedding left over from my Blue Tongue Skink. can i use that as substrate for a tegu? And if so, would mixing it with coconut husk/bark be a good idea?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
So far i like aspen WAY better then the decorative bark mulch. The bark kind is dirty as far as when you handle your teg you get like a red dust/dirt on you. It does not hold humidity very well, and harder to spot clean. I just got a huge 4.35 cubic foot bag of aspen from LLL Reptile and it covered my 7'3'3' enclosure great. Its super easy to spot clean, dusty but not dirty and holds humidity very well. I love aspen bedding, its great for them to burrow in to. One thing about aspen is though you want to turn the substrate every day or two so it does not mold or mildew because it holds moisture so well. I have never used coconut before but i hear it is great to so why not, mix it up. Its all about trial and errer to find what works best for you and your tegu.

kurtle55

5 Year Member
well damn i just went ahead and took all of the aspen bedding out of my cage and put a cypress coconut mix. the dirt factor makes me want to change it out though.
how often do you clean your cage?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
I just changed it yesterday so about every 4 months. I spot clean every day and the cage didnt stink or anything i just like knowing that my tegu is not burrowing in pee soaked substrate when i get it out. I have 3 kids so i try and make eveything clean and sanitary for us and the tegu. I even lysol the door knobs on the enclosure each time to cut down on jerms. My 2 1/2 year old son LOVES looking at it eat and bask.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
im using cypress mulch mixed with coconut dirt, holds humidity great and as long as you clean up the deficates every day or 2 then it really doesnt need much cleaning, when it does i just take it all out, mix up the mulch and dirt and put it back in, easy as cake. That was on my 40 gallon breeder though, im yet to see how cleaning the 8x4 i just made is gonna be :O

zorndike

5 Year Member
good day to all, i would just like to ask if cocopeat would be a good substitute for cypress mulch? i cant seem to find any store that sells cypress mulch here in the philippines. :(

if there is is another good substitute, can someone help me know? thanks in advance :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan