• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

anyone else with skinks?! *pic heavy*

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Post your blue tongue skinks! or other skinks too....

I just got my first, bluey last week!
Ive been searching for a blue tongue skink for quite some time now, I was really picky about what I wanted and looked at so many from multiples places but really was waiting for one to "speak to me" so I finally found one that I loved! Instantly knew I wanted her! She came from J&C Pets (found her on fauna) not sure the reputation on them as ive heard conflicting info but I had a decent experience. Lacey arrived safely last week (but Im just now getting around to posting)! :D
She is beautiful! A little smaller than what I was expecting but all is okay and I LOVE HER!, Shes 2011 Merauke so I still get to watch her grow some. Shes in a 4x2x2 wood cage and I sure had fun decorating it for her the night before she got here, and it allowed me enough time to make sure her temps were just perfect. I set an alarm in the morning of her arrival to get up early to turn her cage on so it would be warm for her when she arrived. FEDEX was 40mins late and I was impatiently waiting at the door, peering out the window waiting! Kinda peeved me though because the FEDEX driver ran the doorbell and instantly turned and started walking back to his truck with her, literally did not wait a single second for me to come to the door. Luckily! I was right there.Perhaps he was afraid of what could be in the box labeled "Harmless Live Reptile" and wanted to get back to his truck asap? I dunno! but grrr! Anyways,
Shes still adjusting so Im not messing with her for another week or so although I am so tempted! I just want skink cuddles already! Shes been buried in her aspen or under her half-log hide. Only time she comes out is to eat, but she eagerly took some blueberries from my hands.

picture from her ad:
1310503.jpg

her enclosure
IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

kim86

So cute! I originally wanted to get a BTS before I got a tegu, but it just never happened... this makes me want to rethink getting one! They're so fun to hold, their little legs are so pathetically cute. Good luck with her!

larissalurid

OH that was you on the skink forum who got that nice female!! Haha I have a male Merauke (9 months old), I'm always talking on the BTS forum! :D

[attachment=5021]
[attachment=5022]
[attachment=5023]
[attachment=5024]

his picture album
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150867381736843.411842.521196842&type=3

Attachments

• DSC_1065.JPG
    DSC_1065.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 542428_10151048156131843_94355516_n.jpg
    542428_10151048156131843_94355516_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 12
  • 541904_10150938654236843_308398093_n.jpg
    541904_10150938654236843_308398093_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 14

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I'll be more active on there now! I cant wait til I get to take more (and better!) pictures of her, but I'm trying to let her adjust still.... Whats your username on there?

Yours has more of the classic merauke look! hes very handsome!

larissalurid

SnakeCharmr728 said:
I'll be more active on there now! I cant wait til I get to take more (and better!) pictures of her, but I'm trying to let her adjust still.... Whats your username on there?

Yours has more of the classic merauke look! hes very handsome!

Thanks :] It's the same as it is here and everywhere else basically lol. LarissaLurid

Odonata

Different but skinks none the less, my son has a mated pair of Fire Skinks.

The male:

IMG_0787.jpg

The female:

IMG_0789.jpg

Obviously very different from the Blue Tongue. They are amazingly mellow, affectionate towards each other (like a young couple in love!) and great pets. Now if they would just stop breeding, I wouldn't have so many young to get rid of (just pulled another 15 eggs out of the enclosure).

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't had my own skink yet but I wanted to learn more about them so I bought the domain SkinkForum.com - doesn't seem to be THAT many people with them yet, so I'm waiting to start a site there.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Josh, the bluetongueskink.net forum is VERY active, much like it is here. I think that bts are much more popular that what people think I just think that a lot of people don't show them off like they do their tegus. I am finding out that a lot of people I know that own tegus also happen to own blue tongues.

Odonata, do you ever sell the babies? Ive been looking into fire skinks as well and I would love to own a pair, I have read a lot about them and handled my friends mated pair and they seem very cool. Im not at the point where I can add a new mouth to feed to the family right now but perhaps in another year or so I will be looking into getting one or two, however not sure if I want to start with babies... Im much too impatient.

Skeetzy

I was going to get a pair of red eye crocodile skinks about a year ago. But I don't like that they aren't opportunistic eaters. I wanted to feed them on roaches, but that would make it hard to monitor their food intake since roaches hide too well. Would never know if they ate or not.

got10

The only kind of skink i have ever owned was a berber skink . And that was many years ago. Though fire skinks interest me very much , i will wait a bit before getting any other animals for now.

Odonata

SnakeCharmr728 said:
Odonata, do you ever sell the babies? Ive been looking into fire skinks as well and I would love to own a pair, I have read a lot about them and handled my friends mated pair and they seem very cool. Im not at the point where I can add a new mouth to feed to the family right now but perhaps in another year or so I will be looking into getting one or two, however not sure if I want to start with babies... Im much too impatient.

I am selling the babies. I am sure like many people who breed animals that are not doing it for the money I often find myself in a dilemma when it comes getting rid of them. Adult lizards are so much easier to maintain than babies and one puts a lot of work into raising them. To see ones go to an owner that does not understand the commitment, or experience needed to look after them appropriately is disturbing. I know it happens all too often, and the majority of captive reptiles are probably in the same boat due to the importation laws and the industry in general.

My point is that I am more than happy to provide them to someone such as yourself who is obviously willing to make the commitment to such an ownership. That said since they are such small lizards when they hatch I think it is important to grow them on until they are a more reasonable size before parting with them. Our adult male is almost 16", and the largest young I have at the moment are between 4 and 5 inches long, eating mostly mealworms and small crickets.

If anyone is interested send me a pm sometime.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980