• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

anyone try mazuri foods

franz_seE

So my tegu does not seem interested in the Crocdillian diet by itself, but I've been mixing it with ground turkey and he eats it right up.

How do you mix it up? Is it 50-50? Do you soak the pellets first?

Also, dis you notice any positive or negative your tegu's health?

Im interested as well to know more about your experience. Thanks:)

dpjm

5 Year Member
franz_seE said:
Actually, the tortoise diet pf mazuri is highly regarded in the tortoise community. Tortoises seem to love it, and you really do see a noticeable change in their growth rate.

Maybe, but I would not be too quick to equate faster growth rate with better overall health. And of course they make it taste good or it would not sell, just like McDonalds.

Just saying that you can easily do a lot better than this.

franz_seE

Maybe, but I would not be too quick to equate faster growth rate with better overall health. And of course they make it taste good or it would not sell, just like McDonalds.

Just saying that you can easily do a lot better than this.

True. It is a debatable topic - especially since nobody knows what a 'normal' growth rate is :) But anyway, that's a religious debate.

What Im saying though is that many have tried it and many have loved it. Even those who wanted to stick with 'natural' food. And that includes me actually :) I had my doubts, I tried it nonetheless, and now Im a happy customer :)

So I guess what Im curious about for tegus is that, theories aside, has anybody actually tried it and how did they find it?

Thanks,
Franz

thatoneguy

How do you mix it up? Is it 50-50? Do you soak the pellets first?

Also, dis you notice any positive or negative your tegu's health?

Im interested as well to know more about your experience. Thanks:)

Not very precise on mixing it, and can't say I've really noticed a different in health. Ive also started feeding him some thawed rats too.

I think next time I will be getting the tortise diet and mixing that in. That will help him get the veggie and fruits he needs. The Crocdillian diet is mostly protein and I think he gets enough of that with the ground turkey

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Definitely want to back dpjm on a number of points.

First: Ingredients. Tegus, and all reptiles for that matter, cannot digest grains and other high grade type carbohydrates (wheat, soy, corn, etc.). These just tend to ferment in the gut. Feeding your reptile foods that contain these is like giving dairy products to a lactose intolerant person. It may not do them long term harm, but it isn't comfortable for them. Pelleted/kibble foods are usually full of this stuff, just because it is marketed to a particular animal group doesn't make it a great diet. Considering that Mazuri is on the high end of cost for kibble...why do it? If you really want a kibble to add to your tegu's diet, I suggest looking at Trout Ration or some of the other fish pellets. Again, look at the ingredients. If you see wheat/corn/soy, move on. Trout Ration instead typically has fish meal, far more digestible. About the only thing kibble diets do is keep a better track of nutrition (such as mineral/protein/fat ratios) than the average hobbyist does. It can certainly be a part of balanced diet, but keep a close eye on those ingredients.

Second: Growth Rate. Growth rate is NOT as debatable a topic as many like to say. It is an easily understandable topic if you know what you're talking about. Fast growth rate is NOT a sign of health. It is typically a result of a greater intake of nutrients. If those nutrients are not properly balanced with the appropriate minerals then fast growth rate means a weakened skeleton, or as so many people like to call it, Metabolic Bone Disease. It also tends to mean Obesity. How tegu hobbyists glued into the idea that a slow growth rate means there's something wrong, I have no idea. Growing up, did we tend to think the shorter kids in the class were diseased? Trying to get your tegu (or any other pet for that matter) to adult size as fast as possible is NOT healthy.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
A point I wanted to say but overlooked, is with the ingredients list. The ingredients list is important in two ways, one in telling what is in the product, the other is in understanding the format of said list. The order the ingredients is listed in is industry's way of complying with regulations of having to tell the consumer both what is in the product and giving a general idea in what amounts (relatively speaking, that is) without tipping off their competitors. The list is given from the most common ingredient to the least common ingredient (by mass, I believe). So when you see some of these ingredients (soy/wheat/oat/corn/etc) listed in the first half of the ingredient list, it is basically telling you that you've bought "uncomfortable filler" as opposed to "nutrition".

thatoneguy

Update on mazuri foods.

I recently got some of the Mazuri tortise diet. What I've been doing is taking my tegus bowl putting about half inch of water in it, stir in some calcium powder until its mixed with the water. I then add a handful of the Mazuri pellets, and wait until they absorb all then water. Any excess water I drain. I then mix in equal parts ground turkey or whatever meat I have for the week. I make little bite size meat balls.

My tegu seems to like them, and at least now he had some veggies and other nutrients in his diet, then just meat. My tegu does not eat fruit or veggies on his own.

I still feed him rats on occasion usually just 1 a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029