• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

are pregnant mice bad for feeding?

COWHER

5 Year Member
I ask because the shop where i buy them sells them for the same price as large mice and the mice that are pregnant are large mice as well. so I dont see the reason he would sell them for the same price when the pregnant ones are a good 75% bigger??

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
More like 10x better, unless all the babies ome out when he eats it, then I would probably loose my lunch hahaha but the tegu would probably clean up the mess just fine. How was that picture you got in your head guys? hahaha

angelrose

5 Year Member
would they be better because of the milk :roll:
I have eleven very pregnant mice now if they eat the pinkies they become " groceries "

snakehandler

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
would they be better because of the milk :roll:
I have eleven very pregnant mice now if they eat the pinkies they become " groceries "

i think in general fuzzies are better food than pinkies because pinkies
are higher in fat and have less calcium.

angelrose

5 Year Member
I don't feed them the pinkies. I have to wait till they grow. in case of a mother mouse eats her pinkies I would use her as food wouldn't she be better to eat cause of the milk and stuff :?:

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ColdThirst said:
More like 10x better, unless all the babies ome out when he eats it, then I would probably loose my lunch hahaha but the tegu would probably clean up the mess just fine. How was that picture you got in your head guys? hahaha
For some reason that picture didnt bother me...

snakehandler

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
I don't feed them the pinkies. I have to wait till they grow. in case of a mother mouse eats her pinkies I would use her as food wouldn't she be better to eat cause of the milk and stuff :?:

to prevent mice from eating their young you must feed them some dog pellets.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
for real ? dog pellets ?? do you mean like puppy chow ???
now I'm curious :roll: why is that :?:

Rats and mice will only eat their young when they're hungry and have no food. Dog biscuits have a high protein content and can easily be available at all times to the rat. Keep them fed and have food readily available and they won't eat the babies.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
for real ? dog pellets ?? do you mean like puppy chow ???
now I'm curious :roll: why is that :?:

because they need the extra protein when having young.
normal dog pellets, the dry ones. my mice never eat their young.

angelrose

5 Year Member
I give them those rodent bars and now I put puppy chow in there
and clean water.
it's the large, old mothers that seem to eat them

but ok it's a protein thing, right.
as of this morning I have so, so many pinkies if only I could get them to grow faster :)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
i give them chicken grains and dog pellets, its much cheaper.

Grab Chicken Meal at a country feed store. It's like 20 bucks for 50lbs. Then buy some dog food with a high protein percentage, and you've saved yourself 200$ a year. THat's another tegu!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me