• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

arg. black and white tegu expelling mucus from mouth!!!

COWHER

5 Year Member
i have been giving baths every day with the Zilla Reptile Shed Ease in it . he swims in it and goes underwater just like normal.
Today I gave him a bath with the same water / shed ease mixture and then gave him a olive oil rub down to moisturize his skin (stuck scales on his head and small bits of stuck shed on his tail and feet) it was applied by a cotton ball and a very thin coat was used so he was not soaked in oil.
After he was done i dabbed him off with a towel and as i brought him back to his enclosure he spit up a clear mucus there was no coughing no gaging or sneezing it just seemed to come up it fell to the substrate and it was about a half of a tsp.He huffed a few times maybe like 7 or 8 times and his breaths sounded clear then he walked away and is basking now and seems fine. should i be worried and any ideas what happened or what is happening please help I'm sorta frantic!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Most likely he drank a bunch of water in the tub and maybe you put a little pressure on his abdomen that made him regurge some of that water. I've seen the same thing happen in iguanas after they've had a good long drink in the tub and then are picked up and sometimes held in a slightly head down position. If he's still acting normally I don't think I'd be worried about it.

COWHER

5 Year Member
thats makes sense because he wasn't doing it but i picked him up and angeled him a little head down and tapped lightly on his back and a tiny bit more came up. but he is acting fine now.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
is the fact that there was Shed Ease in the water bad if he drank it?

I can't imagine them putting something highly toxic in it, but there could have been something that didn't agree with his stomach and he decided to get rid of it. I wouldn't worry about it too much myself. I would just monitor him and keep an eye out for any strange behavior.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I don't know exactly what is in Shed Ease so I can't answer that question. I probably wouldn't want to have my animals drinking it.

Have you made any changes in his diet and environment to help prevent shedding problems in the future. Bobby has covered those subjects pretty well here. The only thing that I can add is that I've had good luck using some Vitamin A&D ointment on areas that are having a tough time shedding.

COWHER

5 Year Member
yeah I have to put 2 gallons of water in there every day and i wasn't mixing the substrate around so the top was moist but the bottom was bone dry. kinda a dumb move on my part. but its all better now not to wet not to dry. Thanks guys for helpin me out I'll keep ya posted on Barbossa.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Edit:

Oops, I didn't read enough. I've never had an animal cough up mucous before, some have coughed up water, but no problems came from it. I would tend to agree with AB, don't give baths that often. I don't know what would happen if it ate some of that zilla stuff.

I hope it's water, keep us updated.

AB^

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
i have been giving baths every day with the Zilla Reptile Shed Ease in it . he swims in it and goes underwater just like normal.
Today I gave him a bath with the same water / shed ease mixture and then gave him a olive oil rub down to moisturize his skin (stuck scales on his head and small bits of stuck shed on his tail and feet) it was applied by a cotton ball and a very thin coat was used so he was not soaked in oil.
After he was done i dabbed him off with a towel and as i brought him back to his enclosure he spit up a clear mucus there was no coughing no gaging or sneezing it just seemed to come up it fell to the substrate and it was about a half of a tsp.He huffed a few times maybe like 7 or 8 times and his breaths sounded clear then he walked away and is basking now and seems fine. should i be worried and any ideas what happened or what is happening please help I'm sorta frantic!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Was it mucus or water??
Last time I had an animal regurgitate clear bile it died a few days later :?

anywho, I am curious to why you give your tegu baths??
especially on a daily basis.

If your tegu just drank a lot of water and you handled it it wouldnt be an uncommon thing for it to spit some water up

COWHER

5 Year Member
it was thicker than water kinda like... not to be gross but it was like KY lube. also i give him baths every day because thats just his routine he eats then goes for a little swim he usually loves it and i never saw a reason to not give him a daily bath he liked it so why not. also to be mentioned, his bath is usually just water, i put the Shed Ease in only for the last two days.

greentriple

5 Year Member
He does not love it, he tolerates it. Love is a human emotion. I don't remember reading anywhere that tegus are semi-aquatic. I could be wrong. I'm curious, how do you know he likes it? Sorry Cower, but you are anthropomorphizing this little guy into puking up god knows what.

olympus

5 Year Member
How do you know he doesn't love it, did you ask him? I never heard that animals can't love something. A cowher your gu will be cool man don't worry I think he probably drank something that didn't settle right with him.

COWHER

5 Year Member
greentriple said:
Sorry Cower, but you are anthropomorphizing this little guy into puking up god knows what.
First off my name is Cowher not cower and don't make the mistake of thinking that cowering is a trait I ever exibit! Second off you are telling me that because I applied a human feeling such as love to an animal that's why he was "puking"? You really 'think that I am applying a human emotion to a animal and that's what's making this little guy puke up god knows what?'
Thanks man Thanks a lot you have helped me deal with my "sick" tegu more than anyone here. Your kind and helpful input has shed a new light on how to calm my nervs and how to fix the problem I had. Wow you are truely a blessing to me.
Ok extreme sarcasim there! Dude what is your point? You wanna turn this into another phillophophical discussion on the differance between human emotion and animal.... whatever? Do it on your own post and unless you are trying to help someone with the health problem that they have posted then stay out of it.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
I would think you should cut back the baths to twice a week everyday sounds a little excessive in my book (opinion). I also wouldnt use that shed ease stuff in the water. If your gu is having shed problems try gutloading your insects with carrots or sweet potato's High in vitamin A or see if he will take the carrots by them selves but I wouldnt give them to him all the time as you can OD on vitamin A. Also when you are pouring 2 gallons of water in your cage everyday which also sounds like alot just make sure you dont have any water collecting on the bottom as it can become a breeding ground for bacteria and if your tegu is digging in at night it would not be good for him. And the best thing to do now is just keep an eye on the little guy and make sure he is acting normal. My .02 cents

AB^

5 Year Member
Personally, I dont reccomend bathing reptiles unless there is a need to do so i.e. shedding issue,dehydration etc.

I didnt mean to start a fight but that was what I was getting at (what I just stated above) saying any animal likes or loves something is anthropomorphic. Anyone saying their animals likes or loves something is mistaken. Those are human emotions, and a lot of time many keeper errors can attributed to anthropomorphic assumptions. A great example of this is green iguanas (and I know someone is going to disagree so bring it on :) ) people will pet their heads and of course the iguana will close its eyes. Then it is assumed that the iguana likes it or that it makes the animal relaxed. When I see this I think stress.

anywho, I have to return to work, there's something to ponder about.
Come on people think outside the box. 8)

olympus

5 Year Member
Cowher do what you think your tegu LOVES. I put mine in the bath tub like every other day and it's cool. Actually whaen I stopped putting her in the bath shedding problems started. Do you man.

COWHER

5 Year Member
olympus said:
Cowher do what you think your tegu LOVES. I put mine in the bath tub like every other day and it's cool. Actually whaen I stopped putting her in the bath shedding problems started. Do you man.
Thank for the support bro! :lol: Barbossa seems normal today. He came out at the same times he does everyday to bask and is drinking his water ect I'll let yall know if he eats tonight its beef liver on the menu.

AB^

5 Year Member
olympus said:

Well, In my opinion if you have had problems then something isnt right in your housing conditions (probably a burrow that is too dry)
things like baths are only fixing signs of something that isnt right.
Kind of like people saying "sand cause impactations" in beardies and leos
so they use tile,slate or other things and not realizing that improper temperatures would play a large part in the animal not being able to pass what was ingested. It should be the keepers goal to fix the primary issues instead on concentrating on the secondary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029