• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Argentinean Tegu is warmblooded

ScaryAnimal1961

I was looking for information online in an effort to learn if our juvey tegu Scary Animal may have adapted to a reduced temperature in his habitat. The answer was absolutely.
While searching I discovered several studies stating that Black and White Tegu have been found to be warm blooded reptiles. The only warm blooded reptile ever discovered. I found this interesting. I thought I would share with the group.

Stellalife1

I was looking for information online in an effort to learn if our juvey tegu Scary Animal may have adapted to a reduced temperature in his habitat. The answer was absolutely.
While searching I discovered several studies stating that Black and White Tegu have been found to be warm blooded reptiles. The only warm blooded reptile ever discovered. I found this interesting. I thought I would share with the group.
This is wrong info! A male tegu can raise its temp 10*F during mating season. They are the only reptile that is known to be able to do this. That does not mean they are warm blooded!! Your enclosure should be around 95F on the hot end & 75-80 on cool side. Basking spot 110-130F depending on size & what your tegu likes. They cannot digest properly without basking also humidity should be around 65% . If you are treating your tegu as warm blooded, you will have a dead tegu!

ScaryAnimal1961

This is wrong info! A male tegu can raise its temp 10*F during mating season. They are the only reptile that is known to be able to do this. That does not mean they are warm blooded!! Your enclosure should be around 95F on the hot end & 75-80 on cool side. Basking spot 110-130F depending on size & what your tegu likes. They cannot digest properly without basking also humidity should be around 65% . If you are treating your tegu as warm blooded, you will have a dead tegu!
Biologists studying Tegu recently discovered that Tegus are warm blooded. I have read this in three separate
Not according to biologists from three universities who did an intensive study on Tegus. The result was that they were shocked to find that Tegus are warm blooded. They have the ability to regulate their temperature separately from temperature outside their body. It has long been believed that Tegus were cold blooded as are most reptiles. Scientists said they were shocked at the findings supporting hard evidence that they can regulate temperature independently. This indicates that they may spread to inhabit further North than previously expected.

Stellalife1

Biologists studying Tegu recently discovered that Tegus are warm blooded. I have read this in three separate

Not according to biologists from three universities who did an intensive study on Tegus. The result was that they were shocked to find that Tegus are warm blooded. They have the ability to regulate their temperature separately from temperature outside their body. It has long been believed that Tegus were cold blooded as are most reptiles. Scientists said they were shocked at the findings supporting hard evidence that they can regulate temperature independently. This indicates that they may spread to inhabit further North than previously expected.
They are able to raise their own temp about 10*F if needed. I live in New England, I can guarantee you a tegu could not survive our winters unless it found a spot 55 or above to brumate thru & a rock hot enough for proper digestion. Just because 3 Universities did a study does not mean Tegus are warm blooded. NO reptile is warm blooded. They are however the only reptile known to increase core temp 10* for survival or mating.

ScaryAnimal1961

They are able to raise their own temp about 10*F if needed. I live in New England, I can guarantee you a tegu could not survive our winters unless it found a spot 55 or above to brumate thru & a rock hot enough for proper digestion. Just because 3 Universities did a study does not mean Tegus are warm blooded. NO reptile is warm blooded. They are however the only reptile known to increase core temp 10* for survival or mating.

ScaryAnimal1961

This is apparently new information. Many warm blooded animals could not survive if the temperature was too low. Our Scary Animal doesn't like the recommended temps in his habitat. He prefers about 90° at the warmest. I am going by the discovery the biologists made. We learn new things constantly after being so certain we knew the whole story. I intend to keep an eye on further research to see how it all turns out.

Stellalife1

This is apparently new information. Many warm blooded animals could not survive if the temperature was too low. Our Scary Animal doesn't like the recommended temps in his habitat. He prefers about 90° at the warmest. I am going by the discovery the biologists made. We learn new things constantly after being so certain we knew the whole story. I intend to keep an eye on further research to see how it all turns out.
Younger tegus do tend to like the basking spot lower than a larger tegu. Maybe because the heat doesn't have as far to travel or theirs skin isn't as thick/tough as an adult. When I got my 1st one, he liked his basking at about 103, warm side 90, cool side 75-78... as he got larger he needed a hotter basking spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980