• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

At a loss

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Well...my two younger tegus, Xander and Aidan, were growing pretty well. But they still don't seem to be the right size for the age they are. Aidan's situation may be due to the pet store I got him from, and how skinny and the MBD he had when I brought him home.

But Xander...he ate fine, and basked. All the temps are correct, and the light...everything. I just don't get it. He's still pretty small. He's in hibernation right now, and this is his second hibernation so he's just over a year of age. He should be bigger right?

I weighed him the other day. Woke him up, he wasn't happy. Also got some pics of him. He weighs 402 grams. Here are the pics:
l_107e003c65b64a068506a9f8b23bad18.jpg

l_ba7b96b1485a4ece8658e8b8dbc8d6a0.jpg

For size reference, that's two paper towels under him.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi, he doesnt look too teeny. Maybe a little small but slow growth is good. You say he is in his second hibernation? That would account for less growth right there. Not a bad thing. As long as he is healthy that is what matters. My Jasper didnt hibernate and went the other way to mutant huge in no time. Enjoy yours while he is still small and more manageable! :)

Carole

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine was small for a while, but she hibernated the first year. Then she grew like crazy last summer. She didn't hibernate this year, so she's still putting on some weight. Considering they don't reach sexual maturity until 3 yrs, I don't think it's a problem. He'll likely fill out this year as the weather warms and his appetite increases. Just feed him a good quality diet and provide good heat and UV and he should do fine for you.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus grow in spurts, sometimes they look like they are not going to grow at all, and then they take a growth spurt and it seems like they are going to get huge in a month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980