• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

At only a few months old...

Chuey

5 Year Member
Do any of you folks let the Tegu snuggle up in a nook between you and the couch and the let the little guy fall asleep? I've been reading about Tegu's being cage aggressive and have yet to see this behavior, but it might only be because he is only a few months old. I was interested in seeing if letting him sleep on you every few days was an ok method of letting it know that you are not going to be aggressive towards it.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our adults like to snuggle sometimes, because we're warm. They do sometimes fall asleep. Our Cuban Rock Iguana is very good at that! Sometimes I'll put her on my shoulders and walk around and do stuff. If I stop to rest too long she falls asleep, or at least has her eyes closed.

If he'll stay still on you he probably already realizes you're not a threat. But it's still really easy to spook them and he could dart off. It's best to closely supervise him and keep him from ending up somewhere he shouldn't be (in the wall, in the dog!). They calm down sometime after they're a year old and they're farther up the food chain.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
LMAO! I was just gonna respond to you that I let my tegu do that all the time and then I realized, "gee, that's the SAME tegu we are talking about!" Of course it's okay, he just prefers to sleep with his mama...not you!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
LMAO! I was just gonna respond to you that I let my tegu do that all the time and then I realized, "gee, that's the SAME tegu we are talking about!" Of course it's okay, he just prefers to sleep with his mama...not you!
DOH!!!! I didn't make the connection!!

I have to get our male Blue up to give him his medicine (1 injection & 2 orally) for an infection in his foot. We find it's best to do it after they go to sleep and aren't as active. He takes it very well and likes to snuggle with me afterward.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We don't know. The pad became swollen. 7 days of meds didn't seem to help. We got a message to call the vet and talk about the tissue biopsy.

mschuld

5 Year Member
Hey Dave,

Hope you're doing well! Our cyclura came up with an infection in her right toe that I discovered last week. It was very swollen and obviously painfull for her. I took her to the vet on Monday and the x-ray showed a couple millimeters of bone loss at the bone just prior to the claw. I have an appointment on Tuesday to have the affected area of toe removed (amputation to the next joint). The vet said that her bone density was excellent but the infection was local and aggresive. Has your vet x-rayed your blues foot?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Last might was the last one. My wife called the vet to get the results and they didn't get back to us. we'll have to try again on Monday. I just know it's going to cost us more money. We gotta sell more of these hatchlings!! We may have to wholesale them to get some money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980