• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby chacoan wont eat

Brayan Rodriguez

I got my baby chacoan tegu about 1 week ago from underground reptiles but he doesnt eat anything only fuzzies/pinkies/ and like 5-10 crickets...ive tried chicken hearts ,gizzards,liver and tilapia and grapes...im going to try ground turkey today see if he will eat some .
Is their any tricks u can get him to eat something other than whole prey (i know its better but i want to add a variety )
20160906_143814.jpg

beardeddragon111

You can use ground meats, but its by all means not necesarry. Im considering moving all the way over to whole prey myself except for when I run out( happens quicker than you'd think lol).

Brayan Rodriguez

He was skidish and always ran away to the other side he still is a lil but i havent handled him just some daily maintenence n he doesnt run away just curious comes to my hand but even if i make the slightest move he runs a lil but comes back ima start handling him this week tho since hes a lil curious ...he did eat some chicken heart today but not a lot he doesnt seem to have intrest in it .....how big is your tegu ?? Any pics

Cody096

Heh, I was lucky I guess. Mine was calm and curious right out of the box. The first picture is on the day that I got him and the second was from today. I measured him yesterday at 14.5 inches long.

Attachments

• 20160802_102340.jpg
    20160802_102340.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • FB_IMG_1473652585423.jpg
    FB_IMG_1473652585423.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 21

DangerousDann

I got my baby chacoan tegu about 1 week ago from underground reptiles but he doesnt eat anything only fuzzies/pinkies/ and like 5-10 crickets...ive tried chicken hearts ,gizzards,liver and tilapia and grapes...im going to try ground turkey today see if he will eat some .
Is their any tricks u can get him to eat something other than whole prey (i know its better but i want to add a variety )
View attachment 11220
I got my Chacoan last year from underground reptiles and at first he just ate crickets even though I offered him all types of stuff. A couple weeks later he started eating ground turkey with calcium powder, that's when I started hand feeding him (best to start when small). Just one year later and he's eating a variety of fruits and about a quarter pound of turkey and a mouse every day. He's just over 4 feet long now. This group is a great source of information. I have a video that tracks his progress over a year's time, I can share it if you'd like.

DangerousDann

He also really loves cantaloupe and blueberries, which I give him a bit of twice weekly.
Mine wouldn't eat fruit until he was 10 months old, and only likes blackberries and grapes, I offer other fruit but no luck. He hates cantaloupe and actually spits it out when mixed in Turkey.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine wouldn't eat fruit until he was 10 months old, and only likes blackberries and grapes, I offer other fruit but no luck. He hates cantaloupe and actually spits it out when mixed in Turkey.
I can see crickets being the go-to food for hatchlings by vendors. DD did it right on offering more and more variety.

Cody096

Mine also loved dubias, I was going to start a colony but he ate them too quickly and wouldn't accept turkey at the time, though when I started running low on dubias I put pieces of turkey on them to get him accustomed to it and then chopped up the roaches and mixed them in with the turkey until I ran out. Now he gets excited whenever he sees me set some turkey out to thaw.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine also loved dubias, I was going to start a colony but he ate them too quickly and wouldn't accept turkey at the time, though when I started running low on dubias I put pieces of turkey on them to get him accustomed to it and then chopped up the roaches and mixed them in with the turkey until I ran out. Now he gets excited whenever he sees me set some turkey out to thaw.
Roaches are very nutritious.

Cody096

Dubias being the best from what i've read as far as nutritional value and the Ca:p ratio, I've read a few conflicting things on hissers and crickets were always just a pain in the ass for me. Plus, the dubias don't smell. ^.^

Cody096

I can't exactly recall what was said about them, but I do believe it was on this forum. But I've also read good things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi