• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

baby dino won't stop eating rocks

jntann

5 Year Member
every time i let him out of his cage, which is everyday he eats rocks,
some as big as marbles. can someone help, is it normal to help with digestion?????

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rock eaters

We used to have a rock driveway(river rocks - tumbled smooth) at my old house and the local gopher tortoises would sometimes eat a few of the rocks.

I thought this was just some weirdo occurrances but now I keep a couple burmese brown mountain tortoises and they do the same thing. I have small tumbled pebbles around their water pool to keep them from dragging too much crap in it when they take a dip/drink.

I assume they know what they're doing - it's not like they're being fed on rocks and accidentally ingest some. They're purposefully eating the smooth rocks for some reason. Anyway, I don't worry about it, they seem to crap just fine and i've found a few pebbles in their poop too so i know it's passing.

If anybody has additional info on rock eating I'd be interested to know too.

Magik

5 Year Member
Well I know that species of crocodillian eat rocks to help break up food so maybe thats it but Im far from an expert on the subject!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.