• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby red tegu seems to be quit friendly which is odd since i jus got her 2 days ago

1000StyleZ

I've just purchased a paraguayan red & white baby tegu from underground reptiles this past Tuesday I was told she was born this year July 7th and was being fed cat food... Shortly after she arrive to me , over night delivery she was kinda cold so I placed her in her tank to "cool" off... During this time she didn't hiss, bite, puff, tail wip, run or ne thing she was actually very curious of me and seem to actually approach me. Same day of arrival I fed her 2 pinky mice sprayed with vitamin supplement... Next day she dug undergound dens on both ends of the tank ( cold side hot side ) and I didn't see her till today she ate ground turkey with calcium supplement and seem to love it this was around 10:30 am ... She's been out and about ever since... Shes actually eating right now! Her behavior seems promising... Im just curious to know if any one can describe her behavior for me? I read all.day about how ppl tegu will be the exact opposite of mine....just curious, Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are all different, some will be tame/friendly from the start. Some will want nothing to do with you. As long as your temps and humidity are good, be happy you got a friendly tegu.

1000StyleZ

I've had her 3 days now and she's as sweet as a puppy I no ppl normally say yu shud wait a week or so before handling but she seem pretty comfortable around me... Would it be okay for me to began the handling process despite the fact I had her 3 days?

1000StyleZ

.the temps are fine I have a thermometer and her temps are between 100 and 105 dand humidity level between 50 and 70 ... I more tlking about advice as far as the handling and taming process even though she's already tolerable of me.

kellen.watkins

if your not getting the one eye closed look from her handle her as much as you want sounds like you got a good thing :) hopefully mine will be like yours :)

1000StyleZ

Nope no one eye closed or nuffin she's pretty relax around me... One more thing I've notice wen she sleep her breathing patterns seems to be gapped, so its something like .......inhale exhale........inhale exhale........inhale exhale......, should I be concern about that?

Gedy

Spunky never tried anything agressive aswell.Compare it to your other pets, some are more mellow,some have a bit more temper.
Same with the handling you can always put your hand in the enclosure and see if she climbs on it. I still pick mine up that way, and never grab him when he doesn't come to me.
If you don't lose her trust, I think you have made the first steps of a nice friendship :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1000StyleZ said:
.the temps are fine I have a thermometer and her temps are between 100 and 105 dand humidity level between 50 and 70 ... I more tlking about advice as far as the handling and taming process even though she's already tolerable of me.

If the coolest spot is 100 your temps are way too high. The reason I asked about temps, is sometimes when a reptile is calm it is because temps are too low. That doesn't sound like what is going on here, sounds like you got a mellow tegu.

1000StyleZ

The hot side is between 100 and 105 F and the cooler side is around 80, 90 F.... Humidity is around 50, 70 ish shud I raise the humidity level too?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is the cool side 80 or 90, 10 degrees is a huge difference? What are you using to measure the temps? Can you post a picture of you enclosure?

1000StyleZ

I dnt know for certain but she's in a 30gl long with both icq and uvb ill put a pic up

Disregard the humidity in the tank... Also I have videos of the ensclosure on YouTube my link is "1o0oStylez "

Attachments

• IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 9

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is icq? If those are the only thermometers you have, I can guarantee your temps aren't what you think they are. What size/type bulbs are you using?

1000StyleZ

I'm using repti sun I believe It's a 120 watt bulb and I have the bright bulb for their bones I purchased it from the petstore... I believe the temps are good tho she's pretty alert and active the tank is pretty hot on the heat side.... Not baking but a moderate temp it seems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980