• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Been here for a while but here is my intro(duw)

SjRrMc

My name is James, my girlfriend and I love our reptiles, together we have 7 bearded dragons 1 tegu 1 ball python 1 sand boa and 1 boa constrictor. i have been wanting to put some photos up bu here they are after a couple months of trying to get them on my computer
yoshi
DSCN5638.jpg

DSCN5641.jpg

DSCN5642.jpg

lilo
DSCN5464.jpg

DSCN5472.jpg

turbo and skittles
DSCN5465.jpg

squirt the sand boa
DSCN5613.jpg

nala the boa constrictor
DSCN5603.jpg

mojo the bearded dragon in a cage i built myself
DSCN5597.jpg

bumble bee the pastel ball python
DSCN5480.jpg

there will be more to come when i can find some more

isdrake

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. :) It's always nice then the person you live with enjoys reptiles too. :) I don't know what I would do if my b/f didn't like lizards.

Those are some nice reptiles. However I'm concerned about the bearded dragons setups. There are definitive room for improvement on those enclosures. How long have you guys had them? If you want any advice you can always ask. ;P

SjRrMc

i have been keeping bearded dragons for about two year or so and i believe there setups suite them and have never had problems with any of them.

isdrake

5 Year Member
SjRrMc said:
i have been keeping bearded dragons for about two year or so and i believe there setups suite them and have never had problems with any of them.

Personally I don't think those makes good habitats for bearded dragons. I suggest that you read more about beardies and their needs.

But in the end it's up to you how you take care of your pets. I can only offer some some advice if you want them. ;P

G

I was thinking the same thing; to me, personally, the enclosures look plain, and even harsh and uninviting, with hardly anything to keep the beardies entertained or feeling welcome. But once again, it's just my opinion.

kaa

5 Year Member
Welcome!

Your animals look healthy, and well taken care of. I would add some drift wood, and maybe some fake plants and rock to there cage. It gives them something to hide behind, and stuff to climb on. Just somethings for exercise and enrichment.

SjRrMc

for the cage yes i know i need to add stuff i just finished it like 2 hours before i took the picture. i do have some driftwood and more rocks i am going to put in there. its is plain and i am going to add more its just new so i gotta get the stuff first

SjRrMc

no problem i know you all know your dragons well. but what is the best dirt i can use to mix with some sand for my dragons?

isdrake

5 Year Member
SjRrMc said:
no problem i know you all know your dragons well. but what is the best dirt i can use to mix with some sand for my dragons?

It's hard to mimic their natural substrate. Many Americans claims that tiles in the best to use for bearded dragons (because of the risk of constipation) but that way they don't get the chance to dig.

I think the best substrate is to mix sand and topsoil (about 50/50). It works very well for them to dig in. :p

To reduce the risk of constipation one can always put their feeding bowl on a plate.

G

Well, what we use for ours is a mix of Zoo Med's "Vita Sand" and Alfalfa Meal Pellets, and it's always worked fine for us. We've never had a problem with impactions. Our (not-so) little beardie has never eaten her substrate, and loves to lay all over it. It also makes picking up the poo pretty easy.

SjRrMc

i will try the top soild i didnt like the vita sand to much because it started to dye my bearded dragons legs w.e color the sand was

G

I use some orange sand with an ok high amount of clay content in all of my desert enclosures. When it dries it gets firm enough for even my Uromastyx to dig their own burrows in it - without it falling on their heads. On top of that all the food leftovers and the poop don't get mixed in with the sand which makes it much easier to go through the daily cleaning.

It is not reptile sand of any kind - just plain sand bought in a shop with garden and building materials. The color suits perfectly to most of my desert reptiles, too - kinda like an extra bonus :)

But very nice dragons you have there. Atm we have 1,4,17 ourselves :) The 17 small ones will be ready to move away from home in 2-3 weeks. They are so cute at that age. Hehe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan