• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Best Hibernation

EdwardtheTegu

5 Year Member
Im still new to Tegus, and want to make sure they are getting the best possible care. I dont plan on breeding, but would still like to give them the most natural environment. My tegu will be outside, so it will most likely hibernate because of the outside light changes etc. What should I do to prepare for this? Some questions...

1. Should I change temps in the burrow, outside of the burrow, and what about basking?
2. Should I still provide food as well as water?
3. Should I not handle or interact with my tegu at all during the winter? Can I bring him inside for a little while to "hang out"?
4. Should I clean the burrow during hibernation?

Thanks for any suggestions...

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus go dormant during winter, they should not be taken from the hide just to hang out.

As for the winter hide, it should not get colder than 55*F, or warmer than the low 70s.

argus333

5 Year Member
hey bobby mine are hibernating nicely but they are in there cage in a room that is 75 degrees in the day but upper 60s at night is this ok? i really dont want to move them but if they need cooler i can move them. im in my last week of 4 hrs of light after doing 8 hrs and 6 hrs. like u told me. i stopped offering food last week because i didnt see them out for about a week. i stll have water bowl in there and ive been keeping substrate a little damp. is this ok? thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980