• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Big belly, Skinny hips

Eric B

Hi everyone :) I have a question regarding an 7-9 year old female black and white that is under my care. I have four black and white all together (seperate enclosures) and Sammy is the oldest of them. I don't have an exact age for her as she's a rescue who came from less than ideal husbandry circumstances, but she was allegedly 5ish when I got her. The other three (1.2) are all a pretty healthy weight, thick base of tail with a lateral fold present prior to feeding and absent after a big meal. Sammy on the other hand is strait up a lardass, she's got a big belly that drags and no lateral fold present. She's the most exercised of the three having 2-3 hrs free roam in 900sqft every other day with swimming, climbing, and toy tug-o-war to try lose weight. Thing is, her tail/hip bones are thinner than the other three to the point of being visible. She been treated for parasites and get food grade DE in her food once a month. Is this just a common physique seen in older tegus?
Temps are 120-130f hot 75-80f cold via radiant heat panel and two par35 bulbs during day and 85 hot/70 cold at night. UVB is zoo med 36" T5HO 10.0 3 months along, humidity 50-70 hot side 75 cold side 85-95 humid box. Enclosure is 7' by 4 1/2' by 2 1/2' tall. Fed twice weekly mixed leafy greens, pumpkin/squash, fresh parsley, oregano, carrot, bell pepper 70% and tilapia/salmon/octopus/shrimp/oyster/clam/ground turkey/chicken hearts/livers/gizzards/hardboiled chicken/quail eggs 30 percent (not everytime, it shuffles) 30%. Calcium without D3 every feeding, multivitamin with D3 once a week

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tegulover310