• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Big Gu Update (With Pics)

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello all, I felt like posting an update on my little monster. I call her Zilla, but her full name is Godzilla (of course :)

Things have been going well, but progress is still slow. I try to feed her out of her cage, or at least in a bowl in her cage. She doesnt much mind my hands or being picked up. Sometimes she scurries away, but usualy she just stays still, eyeing me, and lets me pick her up. She lets me hold her, and rub her chin. She doesnt like to be pet from above though, and will move away if I try to pet her head or back.

She is very cute and seems happy. She comes out of her hide or from undergournd in the late morning or afternoon. She doesnt run at the sight of me, though if I move she stops what she is doing to eye me. Her favroite food is crickets. I also feed her ground turkey, hard boiled eggs, bannana, ground beef, and in emergancy chopped up hot dogs. I sprinkle vitamin D on everything. She will always eat crickets over anything else. She also likes hunting for them and is always trying to dig them up. I like to feed her in a seprate bin, but I put the extra unate crickets in the cage.

I like to take her out of the cage and hold her, and play with her. Sometimes she will sit in my hands, and sometimes she wants to get away. I put her on my bed and let her wander around. She checks out all the edges and usualy settles laying right next to the exaust port in my laptop. Sometimes she tries to crawl off my bed to the floor, but I catch her when she does. A few times she has made it to the floor, and then gone exploring. One time she went under my bed where i coudnt reach her, so I just plugged up all the potental escape holes in my room and let her be. She was missing for about 17 hours, untill I lifted up my bed, and found her hideing in my boxspring.

When she is on my bed, sometimes she crawls under my covers and nuzzles up against my legs or feet. Also sometimes when she is a little antsy, I will gently place her there, and put the covers over her. It seems to calm her down. The other night I fell asleep for about 6 hours with her next to my leg, and when I woke up, she was still there, happily sleeping. It was so cute and made me smile.

As for the cage, I use cyprus mulch. The warm side is always 95-105 and the cool side is 75-80. The humidity is the hardest thing to manage. Its usualy around 50% and its very hard to get it higher. I mist the cage, and it goes up to maybe 70% for about an hour, and then back down to 50%. I got a reptile mister, ut it also doesnt help much. Unless I turn the mister up to its highest setting, and the cage is literaly full of mist. So full and thick that I cant see anything. I dont like to leave it like that. Does anyone have any ideas on how to raise the humidity, and still have visibility in the cage?

Its time for me to look for a bigger cage so she has more room to explore and move around. Ive had her for about 3 months now, and she has shed 3 times. She lets me peel off the clinging shed on her tail and feet. She is about 3 inches bigger than when I got her, I think.

Sometimes she cowers, but she has never bit me or even tried. I have even hand fed her some food before (when she wouldnt eat) and the took it fery gently, minding my fingers. Another thing I found intresting was watching her jump. I had no idea Tegus could jump. She can get a good foot off the ground, and even jumped like a cat to my nightstand near my bed.

I do have another question. She has these two little things on her head that look like cracks in her scales. One is on her nose, and the other is above an eye. They dont bleed, but they are blood red. They look like cuts or cracks with dried blood. I have given her a few baths, and scrubed them, but they remain the same. These were acualy on her when I first got her and havent changed. I was wondering if these were scars or beauty marks, or something wrong that I should worry about. They are hard to see in pictures, but you can see them if you look very closely. Is this a common thing? Or does it mean the habitat is to dry, or she isnt getting enough nutrients, or some kind of dissease? The two places mentioned are the only ones she has. The rest of her body looks absolutly perfect.

I love the little thing to death, and Im very glad I got her. I hope that in the future she gets a little more friendly. She hasnt as of yet seeked any attention or comfort from me, but she does tolerate me.

Here of some pictures of her. Anyones with comments, Id love to hear from you.

wp000146.jpg

wp000148a.jpg

wp000145.jpg

wp000144.jpg

wp000119.jpg

wp000122z.jpg

wp000124.jpg

wp000127a.jpg

wp000128k.jpg

wp000130.jpg

wp000132.jpg

wp000133.jpg

wp000134.jpg

wp000138.jpg

wp000140a.jpg

wp000139.jpg

wp000138.jpg

Also, is it just me, or is image shake crappy? The wesite keeps crashing, or failing to load my pistures. And they blew up all the pictues I took with my cell phone camera, to huge and blurry proportions.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's a cutie :).

For humidity cover at least half of the screen top with foil, or something non flammable to keep the humidity from escaping. If you can,.. try to get better pics of the cracks, it would be easier to tell if they are healing soars or not.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I do have the top of the cage coverd with aluminum foil, except where the lamps sit. It did help, but not enough.

Here are some pics of the red spots on her head. They are really hard to see, and dont come out well in the pics.

wp000165.jpg

wp000164.jpg

wp000162.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't really see anything to worry about, maybe in the second pic there look like it could be a couple of scratches above her eye on the top side. If so you can put some plain neosporin on it to help it heal.

Other than that,.. I asked this on your other thread.

What are you using to check and keep track of your temps and humidity? How much and how often are you feeding her? Also she could be trying to settle in and find a suitable place to hibernate.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Cant go wrong with Godzilla. Espesualy when she is knocking over my stuff and making a mess.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
You should play her the song by Blue Oyster Cult. It's one of Kodo's favorites. \m/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rDWqjnW7w

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980