• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Biting (not food related)

SavetheSpoons

So I tried asking this question on FB but of course everyone there just wants to be rude my 5 month old black and white boy is usually very sweet. He is mostly free roaming and yesterday during his free roam time (after his dinner and bath) he decided to come off his basking spot and hang out with me on the couch. He does this a lot. He loves to snuggle up in blankets and chuffs very often. He climbed up me and started chuffing like usual. Then out of nowhere he hauled off and bit me on the side of the face. I immediately put him back in his enclosure. Anyone know how to lessen this behavior? Was he just testing me?

Smasher

Just a thought? Not sure about it, but could be something triggered him. That was how I got my first bad bite. Tried to take my red outside on a leash to let him explore and on seeing me in sunlight puffed up and jumped at me biting my hand. I somewhat doubt it with the age but could be early signs of them going into their notoriously rough puberty. Mine was an absolute sweet heart and slept with me in bed and cuddled. Then he hit puberty and it’s a fight to even get him to let me in the tank. Mine started really similarly where he would start calm and than just have a mini melt down and go ballistic out of nowhere. Just a thought but I don’t remember as I’m typing this the age for puberty in tegus.

SavetheSpoons

Just a thought? Not sure about it, but could be something triggered him. That was how I got my first bad bite. Tried to take my red outside on a leash to let him explore and on seeing me in sunlight puffed up and jumped at me biting my hand. I somewhat doubt it with the age but could be early signs of them going into their notoriously rough puberty. Mine was an absolute sweet heart and slept with me in bed and cuddled. Then he hit puberty and it’s a fight to even get him to let me in the tank. Mine started really similarly where he would start calm and than just have a mini melt down and go ballistic out of nowhere. Just a thought but I don’t remember as I’m typing this the age for puberty in tegus.
Thank you! To my knowledge nothing triggered him, but who knows what's going through that little head. Thankfully he hasn't done this again since, and we're working on the "no" command. He has been a little more flighty than usual, but still comes up to me for cuddles now and then. I suppose there is also a chance he could be older than that. I stumbled upon him in petco of all places and their estimate was 3 months old when I got him, but who knows

Stellalife1

Thank you! To my knowledge nothing triggered him, but who knows what's going through that little head. Thankfully he hasn't done this again since, and we're working on the "no" command. He has been a little more flighty than usual, but still comes up to me for cuddles now and then. I suppose there is also a chance he could be older than that. I stumbled upon him in petco of all places and their estimate was 3 months old when I got him, but who knows
They can get pretty ornery during mating season also around 6-7 months they go thru puberty which is often very difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam