• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black and white Tegu hatchling.

cjordan85

I have a hatchling black and white tegu, I use a 150w ceramic emitter and a 26w 5.0 uvb 12 hours on and 12 off in a 40 gallon enclosure. Do i need to turn the heat lamp off at night? The cool side ranges from 75-81and the hot side around 86 and basking temp at 115 can it get to hot with that emitter? Also i use a humidifier and was told to leave it off during the day and turn it on at night. it's this true? Thanks.

rantology

You should do the reverse with the humidifier - when the lights and the heat is on, it will burn off moisture faster and drop the humidity. At night, the moisture will stick around no problems. You can/ should turn the lights and the heat off during the night as long as temps aren't falling below ~68, it's fine. They burrow into cool substrate to sleep anyway and will not benefit from the added heat. You can get a cheap hygrometer like this and monitor your humidity levels. The goal should be to keep the enclosure around 70-80% humidity. They grow extremely quickly though so if you find it difficult to maintain parameters in a 40gallon, your new 'gu won't be living in it but for a few months so consider what type of adult enclosure you will have as well - things like grow tents are made to hold in moisture and heat and you may have an easier time of it.

cjordan85

You should do the reverse with the humidifier - when the lights and the heat is on, it will burn off moisture faster and drop the humidity. At night, the moisture will stick around no problems. You can/ should turn the lights and the heat off during the night as long as temps aren't falling below ~68, it's fine. They burrow into cool substrate to sleep anyway and will not benefit from the added heat. You can get a cheap hygrometer like this and monitor your humidity levels. The goal should be to keep the enclosure around 70-80% humidity. They grow extremely quickly though so if you find it difficult to maintain parameters in a 40gallon, your new 'gu won't be living in it but for a few months so consider what type of adult enclosure you will have as well - things like grow tents are made to hold in moisture and heat and you may have an easier time of it.
Ok thanks. I have both hydrometers and thermometers at the cool side and warm side of the tank. I also have a heating pad too, do I need it? And if so where should it be placed. And I have a duel dome fixture will one 26w 5.0 uvb bulb be enough?

cjordan85

Ok thanks. I have both hydrometers and thermometers at the cool side and warm side of the tank. I also have a heating pad too, do I need it? And if so where should it be placed. And I have a duel dome fixture will one 26w 5.0 uvb bulb be enough?
I live in Virginia so it's get below 68 at night sometimes, so just to be safe I can leave the heat on all the time with no worries or still turn it off?

rantology

Where is the heating pad located? If you could provide a picture of your setup it may be easier to help - the hygrometers should ideally be slightly elevated from the substrate with some space on either side, you basically dont want them touching anything or something that would skew the readings too close to them.

The UVB sounds like it is a bit weak. 5.0 is for shade dwellers, you will want at least the 10.0 / desert types. If you are in the market for something new, Arcadia T5O uvb's are excellent in coverage and quality ... you can check them out here... for a 40gallon you likely want the 24 inch / 12% one. When you move them to the adult enclosure you'll likely need to upgrade the fixture size and possibly switch to the 14% depending on how far from the basking spot it ends up being.

I would turn the heat off at night unless you know its going to get chilly. Even so they will want to brumate during the winter and can easily tolerate low 60s or mid 50s.

cjordan85

20210501_101434.jpg

It will not let me post pictures on here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980