• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue Tegu Food

ashesc212

5 Year Member
So I've done a lot of reading over the weekend about Blue Tegu care, including some of Varnyard's stuff. I've read that Blue Tegu's remain carniverous through their entire lives. However, one source mentioned that they occasionally eat berries. Is this true? Pardon me if this has been asked or if my newbie-ness just emanates from this post lol.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Don't worry, we all had to learn at some point :)

Its not a big deal if they eat fruits or berries, it won't cause any health problems. In fact I read a while ago in the newspaper small berries help keep away cancer, if it applies to tegus as well I don't know but may as well try right?

You may want to try and get it to eat fruits and berries just so if your out of turkey or something you can give it something to fill them for the day.

Spencer

jor71

5 Year Member
Here is a good list written by Puff "the Magic" Dragon, for you to go by....

http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353

I am sure most will go for Blue Tegus.

I was able to get my boy to eat blueberries by adding it to his fuzzies. I added some berries in the same baggie the mice were in while defrosting. I also squeezed some of them and made sure the juice went all over the mice. He ate all six mice and the berries without hesitation.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some care sheets are just regurges of someone elses that may have been written before many people had experience with them.

Our Male Blue will eat just about anything i put in his bowl!! He's actually picked pieces of strawberry out of his turkey and eaten those first!! The myth that Blues don't eat fruit comes from when they were first imported the were thought to be Columbian Tegu's which generally stay carnivorous. Our female is more picky but will eat some fruit.

If you're talking about young Tegu's (under 1 year), yes many of them won't eat fruit, but most will eventually. They need the meat (protein) to grow quickly in the first year so they will become the hunter, not the hunted.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
So it's safe to feed him most of the foods listed for argentine tegus and he'll decide if he eats it I take it?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
So it's safe to feed him most of the foods listed for argentine tegus and he'll decide if he eats it I take it?
You got it!! Although under 1 year old I wouldn't expect them to eat much fruit unless you hide tiny pieces in their turkey. It varies by the Tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me