• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue's Trip to the Vet - Round 2

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our new male Blue Tegu has had an insatiable appetite since we got him. He's quite cage aggressive but calmer once he's taken out. The woman we got him from said he's much calmer on a full stomach. So I fed him every day. Every day he'd lick the bowl clean. For the first 3 days he had massive BM's, then nothing. 4 days ago he vomited at 7:30pm. I figured I had been over feeding him so I didn't feed him the next day. The next day he cleaned his bowl again. And vomited again at 3pm.

My wife made an appointment at the expensive herp vet we've been going to that's one hour away. He also has a swollen toe so we had them check that too.

They took an x-ray and tube fed him some de-wormer and mineral oil (to hopefully unclog him). The x-ray showed he's a bit backed up and he has a bone eating infection in 2 toes called osteomyetitis. We have to inject him with Baytril for the next 3 weeks. The infection could result in the loss of the toes.

In doing some research I found human cases of it caused by the salmonella virus. Check it out, this a dangerous infection! I never wash my hands after handling any of our reptiles, I may think twice.

We got a small fecal sample to them last night.

So far we haven't had much problem injecting him, we just do it a hour after the lights go out and he's cooled off some.

He's rubbed his chin raw on the bars of his cage (that we got him in). I'm just about finished with his new enclosure. Hopefully he'll move in Sunday. It has 1/2" vinyl coated hardware cloth on the doors. I'm hoping he'll feel more secure when he's enclosed on 5 sides instead of wide open in his existing cage. If he's still rubbing in another week I'll add lexan on the inside of the doors.

dorton

5 Year Member
Sounds like you're on top of things for sure.
As far as washing hands, I keep waterless hand sanitizer used between holding each individual animal.
I will not hold one without cleansing my hands before and after. I'm not a germafobiac, just something small I can do in their best interest.
Justin

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Blue went back to the vet last week after I noticed a hole in the toe that had (still has) the bone infection. We're back to doing the shots again after he goes to sleep. The first 2 days were easy but last night he knew what was coming. He struggled some but calmed quickly after it was done.

I've been suspecting he might be backed up again since I don't see the frequency of BM's from him like the others. Last night I found he had thrown up his meal from yesterday. A bowl of fruit and a mouse, all undigested. Our son said he watched him pound it all down at one time the day before. Last time the vet put a tube down into his stomach at gave him some mineral oil. I asked if I could give him some orally and he said not to because there is a chance it could end up in his lungs. I had been putting some Laxatone (hair ball med) in his mice but recently changed to Bobby's cod liver oil treatment to his mice. He's probably not basking enough to fully digest his meals. He used to be up when we get home but I haven't seen him in a week. He's about 14" from a 90W halogen bulb. He's recently moved his sleeping "den" from the middle of the cage to under the basking area.

Might it be OK to try to give him some cod liver oil to him slowly with an eye dropper?? That might be a challenge!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Be careful, though. My tegu choked when eating eggs, as some of the yoke went down "the wrong way." She's fine.

I wish you the best of luck.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck, that sounds serious. I hope he pulls through for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me