• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Boa Info and thinking

Kimmie

I am thinking of buying a red tail boa :) and was looking for how old they get I always find how long they get or how big lol but not the other info about age I cant wait to this sunday I have to go to a expo in Gent belgium :p and look for a snake <3 for my new terrarium :) i saw a youngling in the pet shop but he was okay big and I love to have my animals from baby at least a new one like boa I never had :)

not trying to sound like I would not accept a helpless animal I would! ofc just wanna start from small to up :)

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Boa constrictors can live a LONG time. Well cared for, 30 years or more is not unheard of. Be prepared for the long haul with a snake like that. Boids and pythons tend to be long-lived animals, averaging 20 or more.

tommyboy

dragonmetalhead said:
Boa constrictors can live a LONG time. Well cared for, 30 years or more is not unheard of. Be prepared for the long haul with a snake like that. Boids and pythons tend to be long-lived animals, averaging 20 or more.

I agree. I had a boa for 21 years. My friend owns his sister who is now 24 years old.

MM1

5 Year Member
Kimmie' pid='112803[i]' dateline='1336594707 said:
I am thinking of buying a red tail boa :) and was looking for how old they get I always find how long they get or how big lol but not the other info about age I cant wait to this sunday I have to go to a expo in Gent belgium :p and look for a snake <3 for my new terrarium :) i saw a youngling in the pet shop but he was okay big and I love to have my animals from baby at least a new one like boa I never had :)

not trying to sound like I would not accept a helpless animal I would! ofc just wanna start from small to up :)

Yes, I have a Haitian Tree Boa (Rudy) who I got as an 18 juvenile in Dec of 1982 (yes, 1982). So he's at least 30 years old (and still a strong, healthy, active 6 footer).

frost

1,000+ Post Club
what is a haiten tree boa? i had a green tree for a while that liked to bite me every chance he got lol.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
[quote='MM1' pid='112823'
Yes, I have a Haitian Tree Boa (Rudy) who I got as an 18 juvenile in Dec of 1982 (yes, 1982). So he's at least 30 years old (and still a strong, healthy, active 6 footer).
[/quote]

Wow, that's impressive. Really impressive. Props to you for taking such good care of your snake for so long. I know Rudy wouldn't have made it to 30 if you didn't love him.

Kimmie

wauw that is amazing :D.

I have seen ppl with tree boas like http://www.youtube.com/user/cutegayjason?feature=results_main and his tree boas is amazing but I hear they mostly bite or am I wrong?

I really like their evil look but I dont wanna get biten by those BIG fangs lol

larissalurid

I recently god a red tail boa as well, great pets. I'd get a 125 gallon tank (about 6 feet long, 2 feet wide) like I have for mine if you get a male. Males get up to 6ft, and females can get up to 10-12 at most. They live a long time, around 25-30 years. mine LOVES his water bowl, so be sure to get a huge one they can soak in. Temps should be 80 cool end, 90 hot end. humidity 60%. not sure how much other info you are looking for, but while they are in shed you can raise the humidity to 70% to help shedding, and around this time i would not hold them either. its a stressful time for them and you will definitely see that they dont want to be bothered at all. dont feed while they are in shed either, feed when they are all done. (make sure they have actually shed, they will get the milky white/blue eye look and then it will go away, but they still havent shed yet, about a week after the will actually shed) for a larger one be prepared to get an 8 foot tank, females get quite large, up to 50lb and 10-12 feet. i've seen MANY 9 foot ones around as well. also, be warned, they poop HUGE, my 5.5 foot male has poop the size of a dog, so imagine the big females, who even at the same length of a male, will be much thicker/larger diameter.

Also, tree boas can go either way. They have a reputation for being cage aggressive, nippy, etc. I've seen people with nice ones who worked with theirs a lot also, but each snake is different because some people will have multiple that have totally different personalities.

Kimmie

larissalurid said:
I recently god a red tail boa as well, great pets. I'd get a 125 gallon tank (about 6 feet long, 2 feet wide) like I have for mine if you get a male. Males get up to 6ft, and females can get up to 10-12 at most. They live a long time, around 25-30 years. mine LOVES his water bowl, so be sure to get a huge one they can soak in. Temps should be 80 cool end, 90 hot end. humidity 60%. not sure how much other info you are looking for, but while they are in shed you can raise the humidity to 70% to help shedding, and around this time i would not hold them either. its a stressful time for them and you will definitely see that they dont want to be bothered at all. dont feed while they are in shed either, feed when they are all done. (make sure they have actually shed, they will get the milky white/blue eye look and then it will go away, but they still havent shed yet, about a week after the will actually shed) for a larger one be prepared to get an 8 foot tank, females get quite large, up to 50lb and 10-12 feet. i've seen MANY 9 foot ones around as well. also, be warned, they poop HUGE, my 5.5 foot male has poop the size of a dog, so imagine the big females, who even at the same length of a male, will be much thicker/larger diameter.

Also, tree boas can go either way. They have a reputation for being cage aggressive, nippy, etc. I've seen people with nice ones who worked with theirs a lot also, but each snake is different because some people will have multiple that have totally different personalities.

ahh tyvm :D

MM1

5 Year Member
larissalurid said:

I guess I was lucky. Rudy has never tagged me in 30 years. He's slimed a few times though. We have this understanding where I don't just go and grab him any old time. If I walk into the room to change his water or just take a look, he'll often come over and check me out. I'll open the door and offer my forearm. If he feels like it he'll just climb on. If not I just get a few you gue flicks or a chin rub then he goes back to patrolling his enclosure. I always use to gs to place food inside to avoid any confusion. Great personality for a snake though. If I figure it out I'll put a photo up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029