• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding Blue Tegus

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢ll pull this together quicklyÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

About a dozen years ago someone found they had a wild caught pair of Jack Dempsey Cichlids (fish) that produced a small percentage of Blue offspring. This pair has been the only source of Blue Dempseys into the trade and all others are their progeny.

These fish were heavily inbred for several years and they have deteriorated greatly as a result.

In the last 3~5 years there have been a handful of hobbyists that have put a lot of energy diversifying the gene pool but keeping the Blue colorationÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ I personally believe that the blue color gene will be passed in Tegus the same (or similar) way as in CichlidsÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

This is how I create Blue DempseysÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ which I believe will also work for creating Blue TegusÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

Blue x Standard = Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Â¦Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??Blue GeneÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Blue Tegu's have not been proven as genetically different that Black and Whites. Nobody has taken the time and money to do genetic testing. Blues are probably just a variation of B&W's.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
Blue Tegu's have not been proven as genetically different that Black and Whites. Nobody has taken the time and money to do genetic testing. Blues are probably just a variation of B&W's.

For the above process to work as described... the Blue must be a color morph of the same species as a Black & White...

From what I've read and heard that is the accepted truth (as opposed to proven fact)...

If the Blues are another species the crossed offspring would blend like hybrids with offspring having a different percentage of each parents species characteristics...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980