• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

breeding dwarf tegus (Ameivas)???

ameivafan123

Hello im new to Tegutalk. I've recently been thinking about breeding Ameivas or dwarf tegus. I live in Puerto Rico and we have a lot of Puerto Rican Giant Ameivas. No one that i know or any petshops have them to sell or as pets. Im thinking of catching a pair of small Ameivas to see if I can breed them next year. And Im really exited to se if i can produce a clutch of these guys since I think I will be the first one in the world to produce Ameivas from this locality. I alredy have a wild juvenile female (10' to 13' long) thats taming out quite alright. But I have some questions like, they like to dig and in the tank there has to be a deep layer of substrate but when the female lays her eggs how am I going to reach the eggs?? Do i have to dig the eggs out of the substrate?? i've heard of nesting boxes but I dont know what that is, since Im a bigginer, this is my first attempt to breed lizards. So can someone please tell me what to do when the female lays her eggs, what is a nesting box and the humitity and temperature in the incubator should be???

thanks!! :)

Attachments

• ameiva.jpg
    ameiva.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 82

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why not just have someone else breed them and then give you the hatchlings and the credit? Do some research instead of just coming on a forum and asking what to do?

Diesel

I agree with James. I haven't done much research about breeding reptiles and it seems i have more knowledge than you do at breeding. Google all of your questions and some videos. Spend much more time researching before you potentially harm an animal and waste your time.

ameivafan123

I know how to take care of the animal and know the tank requirements and everything but I've been reasearching and its rare to find someone who breeds Ameivas. And yes people would buy em. But I always think of the health and nutrition of the animals first. Im only doing it beacouse it would be a cool project to work on, I really dont care if sell them. I will keep researching and i ill keep you guys updated on the proyect. Thanks :)!!!

ameivafan123

Well ive found out all about this little critters now that ive had one for the past year. Apparently the female that I've had for almost a year now is a male. Its really hard to catch them so ive haven't got the female yet, but I ordered a female green ameiva from ReptileCity to hopefully make some hybrids next year :). as I said got alot of experience with husbandry and feeding and everything now.All I need is a little hands on experience in breeding this guys that i will get later down the road. Im really exited of next year!!!!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980