• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding in general?

G

Hello everyone! I have just got my two new adult tegus recently and i intend on breeding them. I have owned tegus before but have never hibernated or thought about breeding. I was wondering if someone could give me information on how to hibernate them, and when this should happen. I was told to feed them heavily for about two weeks, start to cool there enclosure, let them hibernate for about 6 weeks, heat them back up, feed them heavily again, and get ready for them to breed....im not to sure on how good that game plan actually is so can somebody please help? Thanks.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not so sure about the 6 week part, mine went down for anywhere between 6 and 8 months. If you have them in a room with windows just leave them open and keep your light timers in synch with what's going on outside. From my experience they seem to be triggered more strongly by the photoperiod than temperatures. I've had a tegu hibernating while still getting temperatures in the low 90s. :shock:

Nothing special really needs to be done, they'll basically do it all on their own.. Some go into full blown hibernation, some will come out to bask quite a bit and just slow down on feeding, some skip hibernation altogether feeding/growing like weeds the whole winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029