• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

breeding question

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tupinambis merianae (blue, black and white, giants) as well as Tupinambis rufescens (red) can all be bred together.

Colombian tegus (tupinambis teguixin) cannot be bred with the above.

there are other tegus that are seldom (if never) seen in the pet trade such as T. duseni (yellow tegu), I am not sure if they can be bred with other species/sub-species.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
The southern and northern clades have now been further divided into two genera, Tupinambis for the northern clade (T. teguixin, T. palustris, T. quadrilineatus, T. longilineus) and Salvator for the southern clade (S. merianae, S. rufescens, S. duseni). I think it's a safe bet to say that it's likely all Salvator sp. can interbreed. However, your question is a little muddling in that species does not equal breed. Species would be higher on a hierarchy scale than breed, and beings as it seems likely all the Salvator species can interbreed, then it stands without reason to say all the breeds should as well.

aambumann

Thank you Road kill for reading between the lines and understanding what I was trying to ask. Sorry for the wrong terminology, some of this is still a little confusing yet and at times I am not sure how to ask the right questions.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
No worries, lots of people get terminology confused. It helps the communication process if we have a similar language basis.

MASTERTEGU87

i have a question, i bred my black and white argentine tegu.... What do i need to look for before i put her in a lay box? signs, behavior, ect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980