• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation and general pointers welcome!

Taylorw16

I’ve got some questions about brumation and how do I know if my tegu is going to do it, I don’t want him going down on a full stomach but he eats like a mad man. How much food is to much for a yearling, I usually feed chicken, fish or egg every other day untill he dosnt want to see me anymore and he scurry’s back under the rock, also does Anyone here have a bio active set up and any pointers I think I’m going to try for a more bioactive setup.

Attachments

• 34F49CE0-A31C-4F66-BC36-591E27A3366A.jpeg
    34F49CE0-A31C-4F66-BC36-591E27A3366A.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3F0158B6-F036-46F7-B830-2E07C13BDF0E.jpeg
    3F0158B6-F036-46F7-B830-2E07C13BDF0E.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 14

ScaryAnimal1961

I’ve got some questions about brumation and how do I know if my tegu is going to do it, I don’t want him going down on a full stomach but he eats like a mad man. How much food is to much for a yearling, I usually feed chicken, fish or egg every other day untill he dosnt want to see me anymore and he scurry’s back under the rock, also does Anyone here have a bio active set up and any pointers I think I’m going to try for a more bioactive setup.
When our yearling Tegu is heading for brumation he also will eat and immediately burrow in substrate. We leave the lights on for a few hours after he has gone under ground. I spoke to a herpetologist at a nearby university. He said keep the temperature warm to insure that digestion is possible. Other than that he explained that Tegus brumate differently. Out guy brumated for seven months when still a hatchling. We were worried but he popped out in spring hungry and full of beans, lol.

Stellalife1

When our yearling Tegu is heading for brumation he also will eat and immediately burrow in substrate. We leave the lights on for a few hours after he has gone under ground. I spoke to a herpetologist at a nearby university. He said keep the temperature warm to insure that digestion is possible. Other than that he explained that Tegus brumate differently. Out guy brumated for seven months when still a hatchling. We were worried but he popped out in spring hungry and full of beans, lol.
Rose City Reptiles has alot of great info on brumation and everything else Tegu. My 2yr old red just went down. She became much less interested in food, taking a couple bites here and there so I knew she was getting reddy. I stopped feeding and kept all temps and humidity the same. She would pop up every - 5 days, drink water & poop. I took the opportunity to give her a good long roam & soak. She was down for 6 more days & pooped again after 2 1/2 weeks of not feeding. I'm pretty sure she is now completely down but always be sure to have water supply , some people also leave basking light on just incase. Right now she is down with just a heat admitted set at 68* they can go as low as 58* I've been told....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029