• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation

zfro

I have a red Tegu. He seems to be preparing to brumate. He's healthy and taking good poops. He is just coming out for no more than 2 hours a day. He still eats regularly. He used to come out an hour after turning on the lights and would stay put all day. I live in Illinois by chicago. The temperature has dropped from upper 7ps at night to low 60s. I do believe he will go doqn completely by the end of the month. Any suggestions on feeding and enclosure parameters for the duration pf his brumation? Or is brumation even a good idea? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

zfro

http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/hibernation.html

Main thing keep temps between 55-60 and don't feed during the weeks leading up and during because it'll rot in their gut and kill them. Temps below 50 can cause lung infections and death.
Thank you zyn I am very worried about starving him on accident if I dont feed him the next couple weeks. Should I just stop feeding when he doesnt want to eat? Should I offer him food still?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FluffyGoo

I would also be interested in the answer to this question.
My tegu as well has started to sleep significantly more and becoming less active but still maintains a voracious appetite. I'm worried about letting her go fully down with a full belly but she starts to look at my fingers and toes like food when I don't offer up anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980