• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brumation?

Johnnys Mama

Hi guys! I bought my Johnny from an expo last Saturday, he's supposedly roughy 6m old. From that day he went underground. The 2nd day he came up, I gave him a bath (I haven't seen him drink and don't want him to get dehydrated), and handled him a bit (he kept burrowing in blankets). I put him back in his enclosure (44g breeder while my enclosure is being built) and he went underground right away. Today I gently dug him up, saw him look at me and I reburied him. He wound up coming out on his own after that. I once again gave him a bath and handled him. Again he burrowed on blankets. My temps are optimal.

Does this sound normal or am I being a paranoid first time mom? I have done research that says not to offer food during brumation. Is this right? I offered him food the first day but he didn't want it (I have no idea when the last time he was fed) He always has fresh water avail.

Attachments

• 50FA58B2-2C13-4C32-BB3E-EE94841F067D.jpeg
    50FA58B2-2C13-4C32-BB3E-EE94841F067D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
From everything I've seen, they will look for their food, or accept it if offered when they need it. Tegus are really strange that way. I know I've read that they will come out and eat a little during brumation. Sounds to me like you're doing a great job. My year old female has been in and out of brumation and while I'm thinking..."oh sweetie, you must be starved!"....she just sniffs and walks away - even from the favorite thawed mice. She's healthy and looks great.

Us humans have a need to feed. Maybe we are actually the strange species.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your tegu is a wild caught from Florida City. No question. They are hardy. Newly transferred tegus need 1-3 weeks to adjust to new surroundings because their surroundings are so important to them. It is also near the end of brumation, a time of the year whan slowdown is important.

So, provide a cool (low 70s F) lightly moist hide for him. Follow natural daylength with a hot spot, and offer small meals every few days until activity and aopetite pick up.

Johnnys Mama

Your tegu is a wild caught from Florida City. No question. They are hardy. Newly transferred tegus need 1-3 weeks to adjust to new surroundings because their surroundings are so important to them. It is also near the end of brumation, a time of the year whan slowdown is important.

So, provide a cool (low 70s F) lightly moist hide for him. Follow natural day length with a hot spot, and offer small meals every few days until activity and aopetite pick up.

Thanks Walter! I picked him up from the Hamburg show and the supposed 'breeder' did look on the bit on the shifty side. But I saw my poor kids temporary living conditions and decided he needed a better life. Isn't that always how that happens? :)

So we're going on week 3. About a week ago he ate 2 super worms. I have offered food but he's not interested. I have also never seen him drink. I do soak him when he surfaces which is every other day or so. He'll hang out and then go right back underground (on the coo damp side). His skin is very wrinkly (which I always take a sign of dehydration) and hes def underweight. I have a vet appt scheduled for next Wednesday just as a precaution and a general wellness visit.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Smart move for a first time vet visit. Keep a themal gradient- 110-115f hot spot, 80s F ambient, and 70s F hide. Medium humidity and water and you'll've done your part.

Johnnys Mama

Smart move for a first time vet visit. Keep a themal gradient- 110-115f hot spot, 80s F ambient, and 70s F hide. Medium humidity and water and you'll've done your part.
Thanks Walter. I did get him to eat maybe 3 bites of raw egg the other day and then back underground he went. Still now bowel movement. Wed night is my vet appt. I'll be sure to post when I get back home with him.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks Walter. I did get him to eat maybe 3 bites of raw egg the other day and then back underground he went. Still now bowel movement. Wed night is my vet appt. I'll be sure to post when I get back home with him.
Sounds good.

Johnnys Mama

So Johnny went to the reptile vet yesterday. She doesn't believe that its brumation. She gave me 2 diff kinds of meds for deworming. She also gave Johnny a long soak and sub-q fluids since shes a little on the dehydrated side, which I knew. The vet also gave me a bag of reptile critical care incase she doesn't start eating. Right now shes soaking and im trying to entice her with some fresh haddock and a little bit of chop meat before I give her the meds.

Besides that the vet is very happy with the husbandry and Johnnys care in general. And agrees that shes most likely from a farm. If the meds don't work next time I might opt for xrays and blood work just to rule everything else out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny