• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

bulb and fixture incompatibility?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I am in the process of looking for a bulb and fixture to purchase for my black and whites and while I like hagan's Exo-Terra fixtures, the ones I like are only rated for 150 watts - in fact, they don't make one rated for more than 150 watts. However, I wanted to go with the Powersun 160 watt bulb. Will this be too much for this fixture and should I just play it safe with the Powersun 100 watt? I was thinking that the 100 wouldn't be hot enough for my guys? Any thoughts?

Carcharios

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Dont exceed the recommended wattage. You wouldn't want a electrical fire to break out!

Unfortunately concerning your other question, there are too many variables. How big is your cage, where is the light placed, how far from the tegu..
You'll either have to get a larger lamp or a smaller bulb, but we can't answer that for you, you'll just have to set it up and check your temps.. Then readjust as needed.

Good luck.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Ok, then do you suggest going with the 100 watt Powersun? Would that be enough? I'm going to set the lamp up in the sunporch where they do get sun, but it's filtered through the glass, hence little UVB.

Carcharios

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
We can't really tell you for sure.. who knows how much heat it gets from the sun? Certain questions like these are not answerable. If you want to use the lamp that's rated for 150 watt, then use the Powersun 100 and check your temps. Unfortunately if you cannot achieve the correct temps you may need to upgrade to a larger lamp and bulb.

The only recommendation we can give you is to use a compatible lamp and bulb.

Good luck.

crox

5 Year Member
the powersuns are on 50% clearance on petmountian.com

man... they should pay me. haha :grno

Im getting the 100 watt powersun for my baby b&w. 40 bucks? awesome deal. ill take 2 please. That whole site has great deals. If you wanted to be safe you could buy one of each for the same price ( cheaper with no taxes) as you'll pay in the petstore. And everyone here is telling me with the powersun you dont have to have anyother uvb, just replace the bulb regularly. What impressed me was that the waves go down up to 6 feet in contrast to the usual 12 inches!! How is that even a choice?

Like i said, powersun and petmountain should pay me to keep my GU. Im telling the world!!! ;)

Jefroka

5 Year Member
carcharios, if you have any doubt as to what fixture is compatible with the bulb you want to use, make some phone calls to the manufacturers and ask away. Only they can answer these specific questions, as mentioned you don't want to play around with the potential for an electrical mishap.

Good luck!

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980