• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Buying Substrate

jor71

5 Year Member
I am planning on going to home depot to buy a bag of cypress mulch, as oppose to going to a reptile shop and paying an arm and a leg.

Do I need to be aware of anything before purchasing a bag of cypress mulch? Can I just buy any bag of cypress mulch?

also, should I mix the substrate like use both cypress mulch and eucalyptus mulch?

Thanks for your help!!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just make sure it's plain cypress. I picked up a couple bags at home depot the other day.

angelrose

5 Year Member
I have been getting huge bags of cypress mulch from home depot 1.97 for years. they may not have it now you have to stack up on it when it is out of season. it's the real thing.

Beazer

5 Year Member
Like John said, make sure its nothing but cypress. A lot of companies toss in crap with the cypress that is unhealthy to your herp. If you can get pure cypress, get twice milled stuff and be sure to bake it in the oven. If theres no pure cypress there, you can get it online for sure at boas and balls. Just remember to bake it.

-Jon DeLong

Nero

5 Year Member
Wow thats a great idea I wish I woulda thought of that screw the pet stores im shopping at home depot!!!!

jor71

5 Year Member
Beazer said:
Like John said, make sure its nothing but cypress. A lot of companies toss in crap with the cypress that is unhealthy to your herp. If you can get pure cypress, get twice milled stuff and be sure to bake it in the oven. If theres no pure cypress there, you can get it online for sure at boas and balls. Just remember to bake it.

-Jon DeLong

I was not aware that I would need to bake it. This may be a stupid question, but how high do I bake the mulch? also, for how long do I bake it?

Thank you all for the help.

Nero

5 Year Member
Since I live in the desert it gets about 115 + in july and aug. Would it be okay just to put it in a bag and let it sit out all day? Im just not good with ovens i dont wanna burn down my place lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've read you can leave the "completely sealed" bag in your driveway to kill any bugs in there. I don't remember how long, probably all day to heat the bag all the way through.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Beazer said:

-Jon DeLong

so does this mean you should bake ALL cypress :?: no matter where you get it.

angelrose

5 Year Member
Nero said:
Since I live in the desert it gets about 115 + in july and aug. Would it be okay just to put it in a bag and let it sit out all day? Im just not good with ovens i dont wanna burn down my place lol

:yik how can anyone live there :?: when it hits 90 here I run for cover :!: I love man made air.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
i just bought 6 cu feet of cypress for about 61 bucks. (3 2cu,ft bags) welcome to california, the land of no cypress

Gx3

5 Year Member
I just got mine from LLL Reptile. 48 quarts (comes in a big trash bag filled) for about 30 bucks shipped to CA.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/bedding/wood-chip-substrates/">http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... ubstrates/</a><!-- m -->

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
how many quarts per cubic foot? did i get ripped off again?

ok, did the math. 48 quarts comes to 2772 cubic inches
1 cubic foot = 1 728 cubic inches
so it's a little smaller than a two cu ft. bag.

here's where i got mine:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-19998/2-CUFT%2C-Cypress-Mulch%2C/Detail">http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/t ... %2C/Detail</a><!-- m -->

angelrose

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I have not had any luck with Home Depot or Lowes in my area selling cyprus. It's a drag.

lately me too ! they told me they were shipping it to the flooded areas. so where are you getting cypress now ?

jor71

5 Year Member
Kharnifex said:
how many quarts per cubic foot? did i get ripped off again?

1 cubic foot = 29.9220779 US quarts

6 (cubic feet) = 179.532468 US quarts

You did fine....

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Thanks, Dave. There is one 13 miles away from me. I will have to check it out.
Call them first. Even though it's the Agway brand cypress, not all stores stock it. You might have to shop around or have them order it for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980