• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cage size--would this work?

Is this ok for now?

• Yes--for now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No--no way, Jose.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Would this work as a temporary tank for an adult female argentine black and white tegu---(temporary as in from now until next brumation period)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/566592264.html">http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/566592264.html</a><!-- m -->

Also, please keep in mind that she will be taken out almost every day for exercise while not in brumation.

I'm working on getting a large custom made feeding trough enclosure.

Aranha

5 Year Member
I wouldnt recommend it.. Tegus need their warmth from the enclosure and it will probably get sick if u have it outside all of the time. Another BIG problem with having them outside alot is that when u put them in the enclosure again after having them running around in the room/house the enclosure will be Tiny for em since they are used to being outside of it. If You want to get a tegu you really need to think about what they need and not just a cheap tank that will do! No offence but that is way to small!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, but my mother has decided that she knows more about them than I do.
She is convinced that what I want to get for my tegu in the way of housing is me just going overboard. She believes that it is just my OCD acting up..... *sigh*

Anyone have any ideas on how to handle it? I need to get her to understand that this won't do. She wants to do the bare minimum for now.....what can I tell her is the *safe* bare minimum.

By the way, I hate doing the bare minimum for my animals....I always try to go the extra mile, but my mother won't let me do it at all unless I start out with the minimum. Oh, and I am getting a job so I can pay for a nice enclosure, so scratch the statement that it would be for all summer.
If all goes as planned, I only need something that will last me a few months TOPS.

Aranha

5 Year Member
Do u have a adult tegu or are u planning to buy one? Its actually ALOT better to buy a young since you can easily tame it with time. An adult is alot harder to tame since not all tegus are born nice.

Add: i got a 6x3x3 for my young tegu thats still small.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, I can't buy a young one at the time, as I need to start the breeding project within 2 years...once again, my mother got involved, and I need to pay her back before long... (although I would much rather start with a young tegu, so I can have it imprint on me, and I get to put forth all the effort of raising the tegu myself.)
I am starting up a small scale breeding project up with a friend, and his tegus are already subadult. I haven't been able to find a suitable subadult male OR female for the last 5 months....atleast I haven't gotten it before someone else jumped on it.
Also, I know this one is rediculously tame, as I am buying it from a friend who works in a reptile education program, and brough her to elementary schools on a regular basis.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, and even if I don't find her suitable, I have all of his information, and he offered me a 7-week guarantee if I don't find her "suitable".

Aranha

5 Year Member
You still might wanna get a bigger tank. And if u cant get a bigger tank i say go for a smaller tegu or a smaller species. That tank is really small dude! :)

nat

5 Year Member
if you are looking for a way to show your mom that the above tank ISN't adaquate I would a) show her this thread as it demonstrates long term tegu keepers do not think it is a good idea and b) show her the caresheets avaialble through this forum which will outline the minimum cage sizes for adult tegus.

cheers
Nat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan