• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caging for small semi-arboreal lizards

AB^

5 Year Member
Most people just fill cages for climbing lizard with sticks and think it is great. Well I disagree and there's an easy way to nearly triple the amount of usable space for your small climber.

First your supplies

Tank (pictured 29 Gal)
DSC03319.jpg

Double sided stickies
DSC03321.jpg

The most important item, the cork tile

DSC03320.jpg

A sharp box cutter will come in handy too

DSC03328.jpg

OK so the rest is pretty simple.
Apply the mounting squares to your cork tile

DSC03322.jpg

and atach it to the tank

DSC03323.jpg

Now that you're this far you'll need to grab that box cutter and cut a pice to fit the gap that is left

DSC03325.jpg

Now basically you have it down and continue around the cage

DSC03338.jpg

Now that the background is complete you can add some substrate

DSC03342.jpg

and some cage decor

DSC03345-1.jpg

and you're done. Now your small climber can actually climb and the cage is more suitable for them. This type of caging will work for many small species (larger lizards tend to destroy cork tile rather quickly). Podarcis,Sceleoporous, Many small skinks etc etc etc can make use of these walls. Even if you have sticky footed geckos or anolis sp. it still just makes the tank look nicer all the way around. Total cost here is about $35 - Cork tile can be expensive. I'll post some pix once I put some lizard in it to show the effectiveness of this method :D

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definetly sweet and simple, Kev. I can never seem to find corkboard sheet though!!! I'd rather not have to order something so cheap online too. But awesome none the less. Hopefully someone will use this info!

AB^

5 Year Member
I got the Cork tile from Michael's Arts & Crafts, I'm sure with some looking around you can find them a lot cheaper than the price I Payed (12.99 per 4 tiles :roll: )

nat

5 Year Member
that's a really awesome demonstration. Gave me some ideas. Thanks for posting!

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
that's pretty awesome, hey, do those things like rip, or get easily destroyed? i'm thinking about getting my monkey tail skink a new enclosure wiht a background, but cement and foam seems too much work and money so......

AB^

5 Year Member
A medium/large prehensile tailed skink would thrash them eventually, But it would work for a while.
They are too expensive to replace often that's why i only suggest using this method for smaller species.
I know some monitor keepers that use shade cloth for climbing purposes that may be an option for you.

AB^

5 Year Member
KoreanDeathKid said:
well, mine is a 2.5' long, so i guess that idea is out for me, lol
what do you plan on putting in there?

Italian wall lizards (should be arriving thursday) :D

AB^

5 Year Member
So they arrived just fine.

DSC03494.jpg

Here's a video that shows this male wall lizard making use of the background

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/Lacertas/?action=view&current=MOV03489.flv">http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Am ... V03489.flv</a><!-- m -->

AB^

5 Year Member
Looks like the wall lizards are doing quite well in their cage.
Here's a gravid female

DSC04163.jpg

and here's a couple eggs she dropped

DSC04172.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan