• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman Lizard Acting Skiddish

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
Okay a lot of you guy's know that iv'e been having Rowley(caiman lizard) for a while yesterday and today he has been acting extremely weird...he has always came to us(me&my wife) but these last two days he has been running from us tail whipping and huffing he has never done that why start now...every morning i wake up and the first thing i do is turn his lights on then i pet him and rub my finger's threw his head it's gotten to the point where we cant pet him...can anybody explain why i let him free-roam in my stepson room but for the last 2days he has been acting very skiddish i cant pet him hold him nothing....can somebody please explain this to me....every that know's me has seen my video's and seen us petting him holding him and even hand feeding him....WHATS GOING ON

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That does happen with tegus, but Rowley is a bit young.

I know you had him boarded at the vet for a few weeks and then brought him home. What could be happening is his true personality could be coming out. The stress of the vet and moving could have made him lethargic and when you gave him normal food and the right set up combined with less stress he may have started to feel better. Another possibility is a traumatic event, did anything happen to him over the last few days?

Caiman Lizards as shy by nature and what you describe is what I went through with Bacardi and Darwin both. Bacardi was fiesty from day one, Darwin had to warm up and eat a good meal before his meaner side came out. With daily work they both calmed down. Darwin is now able to sit on my shoulder when watching TV. If he stops eating it maybe time to worry, but right now I would just take it one step at a time.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
That does happen with tegus, but Rowley is a bit young.

I know you had him boarded at the vet for a few weeks and then brought him home. What could be happening is his true personality could be coming out. The stress of the vet and moving could have made him lethargic and when you gave him normal food and the right set up combined with less stress he may have started to feel better. Another possibility is a traumatic event, did anything happen to him over the last few days?

Caiman Lizards as shy by nature and what you describe is what I went through with Bacardi and Darwin both. Bacardi was fiesty from day one, Darwin had to warm up and eat a good meal before his meaner side came out. With daily work they both calmed down. Darwin is now able to sit on my shoulder when watching TV. If he stops eating it maybe time to worry, but right now I would just take it one step at a time.
hey chelvis whats up? i really cant say what happen i really dont know and when he was at the vet he ate the same thing i feed him the vet and are that cool she always ask me what and how i feed my animals all i did was take him out changed the water in his fish tank cause i change it every 3 days he ate really good he ate 3 shrimps,half of fish,and 5 snails,thats is normal plate...he just doesn't want to be held touched or even look at....its scary like what the hell is wrong with him chelvis today is the second day he like this...i just hope he doesn't turn to be like my argentine tegu i have a red tegu that won't tame down for **** i tried the bathtub trick i stayed in the bathroom for two days only came out to eat and still my tegu doesn't want to be touched or held she comes out eats poops and roams the house the only thing that changed was she is not attacking us when she see us she just goes about her bzness...i just hope this aint the case with Rowley....how long did it take for caimans to calm down???

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey DR. Taming takes time and patients. Don't get discouraged. It can be a few months before he calms down again. Bacardi took almost a year before he was really the docile guy I let free roam. Many lizards need to get size on them before they start to feel safe in a home. The increase is size and the constant positive exposure to people allow them to start trusting people. Give him a few days, it will be hard. You can try the old t-shirt trick but I have not clue how well that really works. Take a shirt you wore and place it in the cage with him, this allows him to get to know your smell.

On a side note, Bacardi use to freak out when ever I messed with his cage set-up. The water tub was not such a big deal, but moving branches around or lighting, new bedding etc; it would take a week before he was back to his old self.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Hey DR. Taming takes time and patients. Don't get discouraged. It can be a few months before he calms down again. Bacardi took almost a year before he was really the docile guy I let free roam. Many lizards need to get size on them before they start to feel safe in a home. The increase is size and the constant positive exposure to people allow them to start trusting people. Give him a few days, it will be hard. You can try the old t-shirt trick but I have not clue how well that really works. Take a shirt you wore and place it in the cage with him, this allows him to get to know your smell.

On a side note, Bacardi use to freak out when ever I messed with his cage set-up. The water tub was not such a big deal, but moving branches around or lighting, new bedding etc; it would take a week before he was back to his old self.

chelvis you have some timing one thanks for the website for croc-chow...(still waiting on you're care sheet lolol)....two today i woke up same routine turn the lights on i went to pet him and i ended up getting bit i mean they have pressure in those jaws left me bleeding he got me good...i was so pissed off i left him the hell alone around 230pm i started feeding the other reptile's and i heard load bubble noises so i walk in my room and rowley was swimming back and forth making bubble in his water tank i ran down stairs to grab the camcorder come back he stopped and got on his basking stop but when i approached the glass he lunged at me.....i dont move nothing in his enclosure the only thing i do is grab spring water and wet the moss to keep the humidity around 80 thats all swear it....im gonna try and leave the cam recording to see if he does it again and i'll post it up....

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bwiegmann said:
Hope you see some improvement soon!! Hopefully its just a phase and will pass!! :)

i sure hope so brynn im actually worried did you read my last post about him swimming back and forth blowing bubble out his nose....and you're welcome about the food later brynn

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LOL the care sheet is coming promise, I had to go on a wolf transfer this week and lost four days off this month from that a fires so no free time. I read in the last tread that it seems like he was hungry. I would just leave food in there everyday.

I have been bitten once when I thought to hand feeding Bacardi, creaked right through the finger nail it was painful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980