• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman lizard help

ColumbusExotics

Hello all! This is my first post here on TeguTalk. I am happy to join the community; I can't believe I am just now finding this form!

I recently purchased a farm-bred Caiman lizard, and I am worried about two things.

1. The only source of aquatic snails I currently have is the canned ones from Walmart. I have linked them here: He seems to be enjoying them, but an issue is that I have to cut them into bite-size pieces, and I would assume he would much rather eat unchopped small ones? Also, is there a more suitable source to get these from rather than Walmart?

2. He does not seem to be enjoying the water that much whatsoever. I first thought that it might be due to the water conditions, but I tested my water at an aquarium, and it is perfect. Could it be that my Caiman just does not like the water as much as others? I have had him (or her!) for only 6 days now so can it be the case that it is still scared to go into it?

I attached a few pictures of him and his setup below. The humidity stays consistent around 70-85% with the help of an automatic mister with a hot spot of about 115 degrees. The water temperature is a consistent 78 degrees, filtered via a Fluval 20 gallon, and there are multiple pieces of driftwood for him to play around and climb on.

Attachments

• 20220226_014622767_iOS.jpg
    20220226_014622767_iOS.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20220226_225756607_iOS.jpg
    20220226_225756607_iOS.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220303_224026170_iOS.jpg
    20220303_224026170_iOS.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
from my understanding and research I've done myself ....

as babies like a tegu , the caiman lizard is pretty shy and change can be long winded..... so probs still settling in and also as babies are more arboreal so I wouldn't worry about the water as I'm sure that time will come.

Those snails sound ok to me but I would vary the diet more, especially trying bugs for vitamins.

again this is only my understanding as this is my dream reptile and one I doubt I'll ever own over here in UK

ColumbusExotics

from my understanding and research I've done myself ....

as babies like a tegu , the caiman lizard is pretty shy and change can be long winded..... so probs still settling in and also as babies are more arboreal so I wouldn't worry about the water as I'm sure that time will come.

Those snails sound ok to me but I would vary the diet more, especially trying bugs for vitamins.

again this is only my understanding as this is my dream reptile and one I doubt I'll ever own over here in the UK
Thank you so much for replying! I am happy to hear that you think that those snails would be okay to feed and it is certainly refreshing to hear that his young age may be the reason that he is not spending so much time in the water. I am currently providing him with calcium (without d3) 3x's per week for his first meal, and a vitamin supplement on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday). His first meal of the day is always snails and his second is a couple of appropriately sized Dubai roaches. I plan on providing him with d3 infused calcium maybe once or twice a month but it does not seem necessary due to him receiving perfect UV exposure (3-4 UVI).

I must say, these lizards seem quite the smarties! Whenever he is ready to eat, he goes to the front right spot of his enclosure where I place his food bowl. The way they eat is incredible too, they may chop on their food for a whole 3-4 minutes until it is completely disintegrated (maybe this is a beneficial digestive thing?) I hope you can one day get your hands on one man! He has been the absolute highlight of my life since I got him. Already starting to plan out his adult enclosure which I want to do a bioactive PVC build.

avogt75

Just got my caiman lizard a month ago. Healthy, hand feeding and chin rubs. But still skitish and building trust. Ordred an 8x5x4 here in a month. How is yours doing?
Underground reptiles has frozen snail meat should be here tomorrow. Tilapia, salmon, Lil shrimp and repashy meat pie and quail eggs in his diet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980