• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

calcium supplemnt question

wyattroa

5 Year Member
This is what i have been using on my bearded, sulcata, and tegu..My question is this alright as my calcium supplement?
It says its 28% calcium. I have not noticed any difference.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-supplements/504986/zoo-med-reptivite-with-d3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.petmountain.com/product/rept ... th-d3.html</a><!-- m -->

Reflektr

5 Year Member
It'll work, but I'd recomend repti-cal without D3 and phosphorous. The stuff with D3 has been known to cause some problems in pets. Hope this helps!

wyattroa

5 Year Member
i was under the impression though that, if you had a mvb then you use calcium without d3 and if you have a tube light like reptisun 10.0 then you need to use calcium with d3

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Very controversial... But I won't get into that lol! Since we know reptiles get their D3 naturally through UVB lighting, adding more to their diet - especially when how much is necessary is unknown - could prove harmful. The D3 was marketed for people keeping nocturnal reptiles - Which is crazy, because nocturnal reptiles survive in the wild without their prey items being sprinkled with D3 because they're still getting UVB lol.

D3 (as a vitamin) is fat-soluble, and coupled with calcium, over the course of time can lead to calcification and failure of internal organs. I used the Rep-Cal with D3 awhile back because I once bought it by mistake, but I never had any problems with it. I'm just letting you know what I've heard.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
ill be running to the store.. this stuff get confusing! Most boards im on contradict each other.. crazy stuff out there.
robert

herper9

5 Year Member
I've also never had a problem with using powder with D3. But ODing is a problem especially since no one knows how much to use. Indeed, because it is fat soluble it can lead to an even higher chance of ODing, the same can be said about vitamin A. So until we know exactly how much D3 is created by the reptile under normal conditions, and how much they use/store, it may be safer not to use D3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan