• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

California

BrianC

Hey all.
My names Brian, recently moved to California.
Always liked tegu's, and now I have the room for an adult size enclosure.
Planning to get a B&W this year, not sure when 'cause I kind of want to get a boa right now but may get the tegu first.

Anyways..
Sup?

G

Hi Brian welcome to Tegu Talk !!

We have many members from California .

Where in California are you located ??

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to Tegu Talk Brian!

Tegus start hatching out in the mid summer therefore US born Tegus do not become available until August or a little later. Getting a '10 Tegu is an option, but I suggest starting with a hatchling. It's just nice to see them so small tender and fragile when you are later playing with your 4' 10 lb "monster".

Be cautious getting two large growing reptiles at the same time. Both are significant undertakings and both will have to be kept completely seperate.

BrianC

Thanks for the welcome.
These won't be my first reptiles, should have said in my first post.

I've thought about getting a 2010 animal, but LLLReptiles has baby Columbians right now. LLL isn't my favorite place, but the Tegu's they have seem to be in good condition.

I'm in Torrance.
:]

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome.

Find yourself an Argentine Tegu - B&W, Red, All American, Extreme Giant, but skip the Columbians. And as far as getting a boa first, get the tegu they are alot more fun.

BrianC

The reason why I wanted to get the boa is because I've always liked boids since I was a little kid, just never had the chance to keep them living in a house with the "No snake rule" - I have kept Gecko ssp, turtles, and some native animals though.

I've been keeping a look out for any 2010 Aregentines, but really all I see available is Columbians right now.
Not a big deal though, because I want to build an adult enclosure first.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is a 2010 extreme <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... p?t=222941</a><!-- m -->

there are a few others on fauna as well

BrianC

I'll check there.
I might wait until August though, as there is a reptile show then.
Or possibly pick up something else, I'm still really in the planning phase.

BrianC

James, I was going to ask you earlier, but why skip the Columbian?
Smaller size, no hibernation, sounds better to me.

G

They for the most part don`t tame down as well ...

Many are wild caught...

They are smaller..

Most on this forum that own Colombians would love to trade for an Argentine..

The lizard could be with you for a long time [After the first couple of years I don`t think you will mind him Hibernating] start with what you want to end up with ...

skippy

5 Year Member
i had 2 columbians and they tamed down just fine. 30 inches is still a respectable size for a lizard. don't get me wrong, i like my argentines just fine but i've always felt that bigger is better when it comes to lizards ;) if the smaller size isn't an issue, columbians are cool too.

oh, and brian- thought you might enjoy this thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8140#axzz1Dl2pwkBF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8140#axzz1Dl2pwkBF</a><!-- l -->

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
montana said:
They for the most part don`t tame down as well ...

Many are wild caught...

They are smaller..

Most on this forum that own Colombians would love to trade for an Argentine..

The lizard could be with you for a long time [After the first couple of years I don`t think you will mind him Hibernating] start with what you want to end up with ...

for these reasons. Thanks Montana.

myotis

I own a Columbian black and gold. She's very nice. Never really had any problems other than acclimation of new enclosures. Easy to tame, they teach you how to handle them. They don't hibernate so its year round fun. Some people say they're harder to tame, but some speculate that's because less care may possibly be given to them than a more expensive breed. I mean it depends on the tegu's personality, even argentines can be vicious.

To be honest I love the gold color. But now I'm looking for a blue breeder ( impossible to find a real blue color ), so I think I might deposit on one of bobby's reds. Such a vibrant color. Can columbians and argentines breed?

Check out my youtube if you want videos of a mid size columbian

BrianC

@Skippy, nice Horridum, they've got to be my favorite lizards hand down.

Again, Thanks for the welcome everyone.

kurvaface123

brian, this might be a little late but they have a really nice red tegu at LLL. I ordered it 2 days ago and then went to my local "herp" store and saw they had a cheap B&W Gu so i canceled the order. Ive talked to LLL and they say that hes super mellow.

BrianC

Yeah I saw that listed on there website when I was looking at there monitors.
I've been thinking about getting a black throat or argus monitor from them.
They have an argentine listed but no pictures.

If they still have the red next month, I might get it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029