• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can I use eggshells or tums as a temporary calcium supplement?

ssspiral

for some context, I generally work with wildlife native to my area, but I recently rescued a tegu that was found hiding under someone's shed, and while I try to find the owner I am keeping her with me. She seems to be fully grown (she is 3'8" long), and seems relatively healthy, however since I was not planning to care for a tegu I do not have the calcium supplements they need. My local pet store only has calcium with D3, and I've read that too much D3 can be very unhealthy so I did not buy it. I want to give the tegu some form of calcium since she probably has not had any supplements for at least a week, and so I was wondering if putting some crushed eggshells on her food would be good for a few days until I can get an order of proper supplements. I've also heard that you can use crushed tums, would that be better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stellalife1

for some context, I generally work with wildlife native to my area, but I recently rescued a tegu that was found hiding under someone's shed, and while I try to find the owner I am keeping her with me. She seems to be fully grown (she is 3'8" long), and seems relatively healthy, however since I was not planning to care for a tegu I do not have the calcium supplements they need. My local pet store only has calcium with D3, and I've read that too much D3 can be very unhealthy so I did not buy it. I want to give the tegu some form of calcium since she probably has not had any supplements for at least a week, and so I was wondering if putting some crushed eggshells on her food would be good for a few days until I can get an order of proper supplements. I've also heard that you can use crushed tums, would that be better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
What are you feeding it? Egg shell is a good source of calcium also chicken necks segmented into 1/2 inch peices. If they have Rapashy Calcium plus is good to use! A full grown tegu does not eat every day. Rapti links are also a good whole pray item as are frozen thawed mice, some people use raw whole pray dogwood ( I've never used it) hopefully you have a proper enclosure with proper humidity, uva/uvb lighting, basking rock/light. But the calcium plus vit.D is fine to use & will give him extra other vitamins as well.

Stellalife1

What are you feeding it? Egg shell is a good source of calcium also chicken necks segmented into 1/2 inch peices. If they have Rapashy Calcium plus is good to use! A full grown tegu does not eat every day. Rapti links are also a good whole pray item as are frozen thawed mice, some people use raw whole pray dogfood ( I've never used it) hopefully you have a proper enclosure with proper humidity, uva/uvb lighting, basking rock/light. But the calcium plus vit.D is fine to use & will give him extra other vitamins as well.

Frankyismyboi

Yeah, eggshells are a great source of calcium, you can also cook an egg and mash some eggshells up with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980