• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

can i use this substrate?

Jer723

5 Year Member
Sadly up here in ct i CANNOT find cypress mulch anywhere! so i was wondering if a eco earth, reptibark, and either sand or somethingto bind would work ok. just FYI i dont feed in the enclosure. so there is no chance of them ingesting a ton of substrate. and i really do find cypress mulch to be a hassle. or are there any good mixtures that you use? thasnks a bunch please respond. im going to the petstore in a couple hours! lol

Jerry

hailo

5 Year Member
TEGU_JAKE said:
hi
i cant find cypress in cali either so i use eco earth and it works great

awesome thats what i will use, did you freeze it first or pur it strait in

Richard21

5 Year Member
I can't find it either here in Cali. I'm going to use a mix of eco earth, cypress mulch "when if arrives". And moss.

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
i buy it in a brick foir 3 bucks a peice and i pot in in a 5 gallon bucket and big pot and add warm water into it then it starts to expand
i spray it once a few times a day and it hold humidity fine thats my favorite substate cause its cheap and works great and i dont mix in any other substrate but im thinking about adding some moss into my hides to make it more humid

Richard21

5 Year Member
One thing about Eco earth is that in BIG enclosures there is no way to keep it humid it drys out quick.

AWD247

5 Year Member
Jer, They have 3 types of Cypress mulch here at the home depot on rt6, I just picked up a plain huge bag on sunday. Im heading there again today if you want to go, give me a buzz

+1 as stated above, Im usung the mulch in the main section and eco earth/mulch mixture in the hide section, heard its a great mixture and holds a comfortable temperature in the cooler side.

latshki

5 Year Member
just use good old dirt
the bacteria in the dirt will help with smells and breaking down un found poop
just make sure there are no bugs and that you get it from somewhere where there are no chemicals like a farmers feild or your neighbors garden

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I am using a mix of cypress mulch, top soil, cocofiber, and
sphagnum moss in his hide area, cypress mulch the front half.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus