• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

canned tegu food

jacobsracing

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+7891+6435&pcatid=6435">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=6435</a><!-- m -->

anyone use this stuff? Feedback??

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Never heard of it but, I've never heard of anything good from canned food for reptiles.

"Ingredients: Water, Beef, Meat By-Products, Liver, Chicken, Poultry By-Products, Whole Egg, Rice Flour, Vegetable Gum, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement"

The Italic words are something you don't want in any food for animals. That goes for dogs, cats, fish etc. You don't want any kind of animal by-product.

It also says that you could feed this to snakes...and to make it the only thing the animal eats. A rather crappy thing to compare it to is you eating hot dogs for the rest of your life.

Just honestly don't bother with it, you'll regret it if you do.

Thats just my opinion though

Spencer

Patimus

5 Year Member
I just bought Nature Zone Tegu Bites from Petsmart. I am feeding him that, and pinky mice, and scrambled eggs for a snack. Is that a good diet?

The ingrediants consists of water, soy protein, maltodextrin, whey protein, apple fiber, dried egg product, sucrose, frutcose, carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural and artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate, methylparaben, betacarotene, lycopene, propylparaben, ogliofrutcose, spirulina, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, F D & C Yellow 5, F D & C Blue 1, sodium selenite, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, vitamin B12, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, calcium iodate, biotin.

I would rather not deal with any types of insects.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Well, If you want you tegu to die young thats just fine. :-D

"choline chloride" Isn't that a growth hormone for chickens?

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
The tegu diet is no good, pinky mice are just like mini sticks of butter, they lack bones and stomach contents are just milk, high fat. Egg is okay every once in a while. I would suggest you at least give some dusted insects twice a week, fuzzie mice or older once-twice a week. Ground turkey maybe 2-3 days a week(with cod liver oil once a week) . Beef liver once a week.

And if you can find whole ground chicken/turkey that might be good.

If anyone disagrees I'll like to hear what I'm doing wrong. :)

Patimus

5 Year Member
Here is my updated diet plan.

Monday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Adult Mouse
Tuesday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey
Wednesday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Adult Mouse
Thursday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey
Friday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Beef Liver
Saturday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Ground Turkey (w Cod Liver Oil) One tablespoon of cod liver oil to one pound of ground turkey
Sunday Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? Scrambled Egg

i0r

5 Year Member
It might seem very comfortable buying canned tegu food but the supplements used will most certainly decrease the animals life span with organs taking a beating and not to forget digestion and stomach problems.
All in all the best is farm fresh products(Food you don't buy at the super market) like turkey and chicks. Animals that haven't been given loads of steroids, antibiotics and other substances to make them grow from chick to adult in 45 days.
I know it's not that easy for everyone to get farm fresh.....but it's the most recommendable.

So if you are too lazy to prepare your tegu a good and healthy meal, then your just not a proper tegu owner.

VampireJoe

5 Year Member
It is illegal in the United States to give poultry steroids. Tegus are scavengers in the wild. You should see the amount and type of carrion they will eat

i0r

5 Year Member
VampireJoe said:
It is illegal in the United States to give poultry steroids. Tegus are scavengers in the wild. You should see the amount and type of carrion they will eat

It might be illegal....but how do they get a full feathered hen in 6 weeks when it takes about 13 - 16 weeks for mother nature to do so? By pumping them full with hormones perhaps?

Don't get what your on about. But as for the tegu being a scavenger.....well, i don't think it's canned tegu food they scavenge in the wild...... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980