• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Care discussion

greentriple

5 Year Member
Great intro. care sheet...but,

it would be nice to get a list, yes a list, of proven foods. For example, various ground turkey or other mixes people have found that work. And, what live or dead animals have been used with success and which have proven not so good. Maybe, someone who is in the know could list nutritional benefits or value of different "bugs, slugs and mice?"

I for one have been using the following mix for about 2 weeks and it seems to be working well, (he eats most of it and shits everyday):

Ground Turkey
Lamb Heart
Soft Boiled Egg (helps with binding, I use one egg, all yolk and about half the white)
Various Fruits (the last one had papaya, mango, pineapple and a bit of basil) FYI - didn't seem too fond of the pineapple.
I then mix in an appropriate amount of D3 calcium.

This is all mixed in a bowl and then placed in 5 small containers which are frozen and then thawed daily. He's only 17 inches and eats about 3/4 to 1 tablespoon each day, maybe a little less.

On the weekends I've given the following:
10 superworms
15 Crickets
10 or more Butterworms.

I'm considering a pinkey every Sunday as a treat.

I've also given caterpillars growing on my herbs (no pesticides) or grasshoppers feasting on the same. He devowered the caterpillars.

I'm cleaning up some snails to give as well.

COWHER

5 Year Member
i would also like to see substrates that others have used with proven success listed.For instance I cant afford cypress it would cost about $200 to fill my enclosure about 4 inches deep, so I use hemlock mulch it costs about 2 or 3 bux for a 2 cubic foot bag and i put 3 bags in and he has been fine for about 3 months now.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use clean topsoil, leaf litter, coco bedding, and cypress. I'm sure as long as it holds enough humidity (and is of course, non-toxic) a tegu would be fine in it. You could try leaf litter or topsoil. Oak seems to work the best.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus in the wild live on dirt and leaves, I just never tried to use it indoors.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
COWHER said:
i would also like to see substrates that others have used with proven success listed.For instance I cant afford cypress it would cost about $200 to fill my enclosure about 4 inches deep, so I use hemlock mulch it costs about 2 or 3 bux for a 2 cubic foot bag and i put 3 bags in and he has been fine for about 3 months now.
Have you tried Agway?? That's were I get mine. There's got to be one near you. http://www.centralmassagway.com/

Isn't hemlock poisonous?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends on where you live. In the northeast cedar and pine are available everywhere. I feel lucky to have found they stock cypress at the local Agway.

AB^

5 Year Member
I dont have cypress in my area, and from the looks of it that I have seen on other peoples enclosure pictures I dont think I would use it, I use redwood mulch and am quite satisfied with it

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
same here AB, no cypress unless you mean those like 8 qt bags at the pet store. I use redwood mulch mixed with peat moss, hold humidity well and makes great burrows.

ps the only Agway near me is in Utah, lol.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
IME it's pretty hard to find cypress for cheap on the west coast.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Cypress is like $4 a bag here in Arkansas and thats a 40lb one.

and i too would like to know what would be the best or them urrowing in, and im sure it says somewhere here i=on the site so i guess ill go read some more

WR3CK

5 Year Member
Hi i also live in cali and cant find cypress anywhere other than pet stores (which i already spent a ton of cash on). Im thinking of giving redwood mulch a try for my tegus enclosure since i can get it cheap at a store i work at. Do i just get regular 100% redwood mulch?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
WR3CK said:
Hi i also live in cali and cant find cypress anywhere other than pet stores (which i already spent a ton of cash on). Im thinking of giving redwood mulch a try for my tegus enclosure since i can get it cheap at a store i work at. Do i just get regular 100% redwood mulch?

I do not know about the redwood mulch, I think they are related to the cedars, if so they could be toxic.

It might be better if you could find orchid bark, or eucalyptus mulch if the cypress is too high in price there.

jor71

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
WR3CK said:

I do not know about the redwood mulch, I think they are related to the cedars, if so they could be toxic.

It might be better if you could find orchid bark, or eucalyptus mulch if the cypress is too high in price there.

Bobby, isn't the eucalyptus mulch oily?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jor71 said:
VARNYARD said:
WR3CK said:

Bobby, isn't the eucalyptus mulch oily?

Not really, but I have only used it about twice, it is much higher here than cypress. I used it because they were out of the cypress. I do have a friend in Germany that swears by it.

WR3CK

5 Year Member
couldnt find find orchid bark where i work also :(. going to see tomorrow if i can get eucalyptus mulch. I did find something named western medium bark <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ace-medium-western-bark-mulch-p-59526.html">http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ac ... 59526.html</a><!-- m --> but im pretty sure thats going to have some redwood or pine in there mixed. anthing else i can probably get if i cant get eucalyptus mulch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me