• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cheap but good tegu foods?

Lizardon

What kind of foods do you guys feed your tegus?

He didnt go for ground turkey
Barely on the other meats
But I am wondering how to entice a feeding response.

Tiigu

I get my foods from the organic aisles at the local market. Chicken hearts & gizzards, thighs, fish fillets, egg, and organic fruits and veggies. Blend everything together into a paste, then freeze in an ice cube tray and use throughout the week. Tons of flavors, all her nutrients, and mice on a weekend as a treat.

sometimes she gets in a mood and refuses to eat, but usually if I put food in, she has it gone within 5 minutes.

Lizardon

I get my foods from the organic aisles at the local market. Chicken hearts & gizzards, thighs, fish fillets, egg, and organic fruits and veggies. Blend everything together into a paste, then freeze in an ice cube tray and use throughout the week. Tons of flavors, all her nutrients, and mice on a weekend as a treat.

sometimes she gets in a mood and refuses to eat, but usually if I put food in, she has it gone within 5 minutes.
Mine has refused foods.

Tiigu

Mine has refused foods.
Make the above meatballs. Thaw one, and stick live mealworms into it. The wriggling worms should produce a striking response, and once he realizes it’s food, he’ll go to town on the rest of the meatball. If he’s repeatedly not eating, a vet check for parasites or impaction could be necessary.

Lizardon

Make the above meatballs. Thaw one, and stick live mealworms into it. The wriggling worms should produce a striking response, and once he realizes it’s food, he’ll go to town on the rest of the meatball. If he’s repeatedly not eating, a vet check for parasites or impaction could be necessary.
mkay how about frozen whole prey?

Tiigu

mkay how about frozen whole prey?
Personally, I limit mice to no more than 30% of a captive animal’s diet, because most don’t get the exercise or the days without coming across prey that a wild animal has to deal with. I’ve seen MANY fat zoo lizards that got predominantly whole food meals. Now days, almost all zoos do the “monitor lizard chow” meatballs of ground turkey, organ meat, vitamins, and veggies in addition to bugs and frozen rats/mice. Easier to store and less likely to freak out relations when they open the freezer to take out an ice cream bar. Have fun explain to auntie Edna why you have frozen rats in your fridge. Lol

Lizardon

Personally, I limit mice to no more than 30% of a captive animal’s diet, because most don’t get the exercise or the days without coming across prey that a wild animal has to deal with. I’ve seen MANY fat zoo lizards that got predominantly whole food meals. Now days, almost all zoos do the “monitor lizard chow” meatballs of ground turkey, organ meat, vitamins, and veggies in addition to bugs and frozen rats/mice. Easier to store and less likely to freak out relations when they open the freezer to take out an ice cream bar. Have fun explain to auntie Edna why you have frozen rats in your fridge. Lol
actually was going for baby chicks. but point taken

Acre

All of my tegus respond aggressively to organ meat. They only get that twice a week but that's where all their supplements go because I know they'll finish their plates. I have a shipment of Reptilinks on the way. We'll see how that works. Not sure if I should supplement those or if that will throw off what is already supposed to be a balance diet.

Lizardon

All of my tegus respond aggressively to organ meat. They only get that twice a week but that's where all their supplements go because I know they'll finish their plates. I have a shipment of Reptilinks on the way. We'll see how that works. Not sure if I should supplement those or if that will throw off what is already supposed to be a balance diet.
maybe a lil supplementation is fine.

Dude Bro Man 433

What kind of foods do you guys feed your tegus?

He didnt go for ground turkey
Barely on the other meats
But I am wondering how to entice a feeding response.
I give my two Yr old tegu one large rat once a week , a pound of salmon onece a week, and black berries and raw eggs once a week. If you want them to eat something add eggs

Lizardon

I give my two Yr old tegu one large rat once a week , a pound of salmon onece a week, and black berries and raw eggs once a week. If you want them to eat something add eggs
Ah I got in contact with chicken farm and I got a deal of .40 usa cents per chick and getting like 100 is this good staple?

Dude Bro Man 433

Whole prey foods are great, no need to waste your money on calcium supplements if your feeding whole prey.I’ve been advised to feed my tegu whole prey items once a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus