• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Choosing a type

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Hello all. I've lurked around for a bit and decided to join. So, nice to meet you and such.

I just moved in to a larger home and finally (after nearly two years of research and planning) have room, and soon will have money to support a tegu. The time is come. But, now I have a dilema:

Black and white or red?

Everything everything everything I've read online says Black and white argentinians are smarter, tamer, and all around better than red. Everyone I've asked at the pet store says red are far better. Specifically, Paraguay red are far more intelligent.

Now, I know the tendency for pet stores to try and sell Paraguay reds as more expensive and hoodwink the public, and I wouldn't put it past these people to try and get some dough. On the other hand, this place has the best reputation around (at least likely in the state, maybe the nation), and I know that at least one or two of the employees also work for the San Diego Zoo, and sincerely care and know about their herps. Now, I've asked several different employees at several different times, and they all say the same thing.

As an added note, one thing might also factor into the equation on the pet store's side: They have a dry feed available which has been specially designed for them by herpatologists at the local zoo. This is not the crap-in-a-can we're used to as far as I can tell. It's a dry pellet form of feed providing all the essential proteins necessary to a tegu, including a lot of poultry and small rodent proteins, and a bunch of vitamins. If it works (as it seems to do), this also means that the tendency toward aggressive behaviors would be significantly diminished. In such a case, could it be possible that their fancy red tegus might really be better?

Discuss.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I'm going to assume a Paraguay red is the same just the average red but you guys just happen to know where it is from. I have both red and a Argentina black and white, I prefer my black and white. She is MUCH more tame and active then my red, I also only purchased my red in August and has gone or is going into hibernation.

I bought both from the same store just at different times, the red is also really picky with its food but that is the stores fault. They only fed him crickets, mealworms and live pinkies. I've only been able to get it to eat crickets a few times and I force fed it a fuzzy once.

Both my tegus are under 20 inchs though.

Personally I wouldn't just go with the pellet, you may as well try it out. Feed your tegu the recommended diet and just add that in for 2 weeks and report anything you notice that changed, positive or negative.

Good luck,
Spencer

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I really haven't seen too much of a difference between the two, but at least for the tegus that I've been in contact with, the Balck and Whites have, for the most part, been less picky and generally friendlier. Now, I don't know if this was just by chance, or if it's consistent among the tegus, but it was my observation.

Also, I should add that I didn't get either...I got a Chacoan Giant tegu...well....two Chacoan Giant tegus ^_^

scarecrow

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. Sounds like there's a little bit of a giant fetish in these parts. :lol:

Of the two I think I'll go with the b/w, if for no other reason than the aesthetic appeal. That said, any opinions on red/blue crosses?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980