• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Clifford at Reptile Fest last weekend...a nice surprise

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I took Clifford, my big male Red Tegu, to be on display at Reptile Fest in Chicago last weekend. He was housed in a locked Vision enclosure in the same area as the monitors, several yards away from the rest of my display. I kept a fairly close eye on him all weekend and he spent the majority of the time curled up in a back corner sleeping. What surprised me is that on the couple of occasions when I went over to check on him more closely and spoke to him through the glass front of the enclosure he responded every time by becoming alert and coming to the front of the enclosure to visit with me. I sent someone else over in the afternoon on Sunday to try to get his attention and he ignored them, just like he ignored the rest of the strangers that were looking at him all weekend. This confirmed to me that he recognizes and distinguishes my voice and tone from that of others that tried to get his attention.

The person that was staffing the monitor display admitted to me that Cliff was a star attraction of the exhibit and several people made offers to purchase him! LOL He got more attention, even while just sleeping, than the large male Croc monitor and 6+ foot Nile that were on display in the same area. I'm so proud of him. :)

He's gone from looking like this when we first got him into rescue...thin, dehydrated, and with shedding problems
mred3.jpg

to this...fat and healthy looking (even tho he's sucking his belly in).
485male_red_tegu.jpeg

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You must have felt really great when he responded like that. I hope to develop that kind of connection with my new Chacoan.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have said it over and over, tegus can and do differentiate between people, and they do know their keepers without a doubt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me