• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Clipping nails question

Nero

5 Year Member
Hey everyone I've had my Tegu for about 6 months now and I was wondering how often I should clip his nails. I just know this is gonna be a pain in the butt. Another question is, what kind of clippers should I get? I was thinking cat clippers would be useful.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I just clip my tegu's nails when they get too sharp for my personal comfort. If their nails don't bother you, don't bother clipping them. They need their nails for digging and burrowing and such, so make sure they're not too short. And cat clippers work. I use the same clippers on my dogs and my tegus. I also have a smaller "reptile" nail clipper for the animals like the bearded dragons.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just take of a very small portion of the tip. If you get into the dark area they'll bleed. I did that to our big Red and he trailed blood all over the house and his cage!! Never again! They scratch and dig enough that their nails are usually dull.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Note the red line in this picture, the line shows where you can trim the nails up to, if it is clipped any higher than the picture shows you will take a chance on quicking the nail wich will cause the nail to bleed. If you cut into the quick, the toenail will bleed, you can use dry flour to stop the bleeding, just apply it dry to the end of the toenail.

DSCN2863.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Note the red line in this picture, the line shows where you can trim the nails up to, if it is clipped any higher than the picture shows you will take a chance on quicking the nail which will cause the nail to bleed. If you cut into the quick, the toenail will bleed, you can use dry flour to stop the bleeding, just apply it dry to the end of the toenail.
I've never had much luck getting Tegu's to sit still for long. They LOVE to walk around!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980