• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cold Weather and Power Outages (plans)

Guman

We had a substation blow a transformer tonight. Outside temp was 24. We was without power for a few hours. What are your plans for cold weather power outages and reptiles?

We did what we could. The small cages were wraped in blankets. The large iguana cage got two gallons of hot water. The tegu got one gallon hot water and 2 x's 1 liter bottles of water over his hide. Both wraped in blankets. We used stove top for gas heat.

When lights came on iggy was 78 and tegu was 98. The iguana cage is much larger at this time bc tegu is still in his ICU bin.

VenusAndSaturn

I've had the power go out a few times but it's never been cold enough to really do harm to my reptiles, never below 70 usually inside when the powers out, maybe 65 if it goes on all day and a bit into the night.

I do have about 16 hand warmers, six that last for about 10 hours, and 10 that last for about 18 hours. Each hand warmer gets to about 135 I believe.
So whenever I need them I can just wrap them up in a towel and put them in with the reptiles, and then most likely put towels over the top of the tanks to keep some heat in or at least try to.

onnie0047

Got a backup generator on standby 24/4. its not the automatic kind, but when I'm cold, I know they are cold and its time to turn it on. btw im cold under 80 degrees.

Zyn

We have a backup generator but mostly to keep meat frozen and our house is heated by gas. We also have a pellet stove for emergency. But even when it got -15 here my basement didn't drop
Below 60.

Trede

I live in WA, so getting too cold during power outages has been a real thing for us. My solution is the reptile shipping heat packs that you can find online. They claim to stay right at ~100-120F for days... I've never had to use them for more than a few hours, but they're a relatively inexpensive insurance policy either way.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My response will be to put our fire place in action for endotherms and ectotherms alike!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980