• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Color / Contrast / Species

adolfo melilli

Hello, sometimes it seems to me my Tegu's skin markings are not as clear and contrasted as they should be, by surfing the net I use to see Merianae Tegus with nice black white markings over black.. mine is rather "cappuccino" dots on a dark brown background..

Please look at this picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pp5f5abiq3o3rtt/File 15-03-16, 14 05 09.jpeg?dl=0

When I bought him I was told he's a Merianae, so it's written on the CITES certification sheet...is that true? According to his color sometimes I think he is a Teguixin...

Attachments

• File 15-03-16, 14 05 09.jpeg
    File 15-03-16, 14 05 09.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 33

snibborsirk

adolfo, he's definitely a Salvator merianae or Argentine B&W as the pet industry calls them. Their color/pattern varies wildly and can range from near solid black to predominantly white/cream or anything in between. The nice black with distinct white markings you are referring to are most commonly seen now in captivity as breeders are selectively breeding for these traits.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with Snib. Variation in color and patpattern exists within and among populations. Breeders select for what's popular, which now seems to be high white.

Somewhat related, I wonder if a solid black strain or at least solid black on top and sides would be popular/expensive as in the case of black water monitors??

As for me, If I'm lucky enough to get successful breeding with mine, I'll be happy.

Anyhow, nice-looking tegu, Adolfo.

snibborsirk

I agree with Snib. Variation in color and patpattern exists within and among populations. Breeders select for what's popular, which now seems to be high white.

Somewhat related, I wonder if a solid black strain or at least solid black on top and sides would be popular/expensive as in the case of black water monitors??

As for me, If I'm lucky enough to get successful breeding with mine, I'll be happy.

Anyhow, nice-looking tegu, Adolfo.

I was just thinking about this the other day Walt1 while looking at the kingsnake ads for the "Black Dragons"! If someone isn't already trying to produce them, I'm sure it won't be long until we see this with tegus. Wonder what kooky name they'll have?!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good question, but to charge a mortgage payment for one it better be good!

How about "Royal Ebony". Oooooh, sounds expensive already.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wraith Tegu maybe?! Great - now I want to breed these!!!

Yes- the Snib Wraith line! Famed in song and story can now be yours for just 8 small monthly payments of only 200.00 each! That's right, just 8 small payments!! Be the first (and only) on your block to own one AND lose your home in the process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont