• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

cost of food

audio

5 Year Member
how much does it cost you weekly, monthly, or w/e timeframe you want, to feed your tegu? how old it is would also be helpful

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
audio said:
how much does it cost you weekly, monthly, or w/e timeframe you want, to feed your tegu? how old it is would also be helpful

A hatchling will eat about 2.00 worth a week, and an adult is about 7.00 a week.

Thats on a diet of one rodent per week, ground turkey, fish, egg and liver.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
That may be a bit low. I somehow make mine cost out the rear to feed it every week but I guess to bring it sown to that number I have some serious shopping around to do with local grocery stores hahaha. but seriously i do to get it to $7 a week.

olympus

5 Year Member
My baby tegu eats five pinkies a day or a fuzzy. My other tegu eats one large rat or a whole bowl of ground turkey every two days. Tegus get expensive to feed I hope you have the money. I recently went to the hamburg show and got 200 fuzzies for $60. At my local pet store they cost $4.

audio

5 Year Member
yeah, that's why i'm asking lol, i wanna know what my minimum is that i would be spending if i got one.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Hey Bobby. Could you give me a list of what you feed your tegus threw a weekly basis? I'll post what I mean below. And what would you call a "Staple food?"

Monday: COD Ground turkey liver mix.
Tuesday: Feeder Roaches
Wednesday: Mice or Rats
Etc..

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
An update on the cost of mine. At first it would eat nothing but mice and maybee a bananna and mango. The mice at petco are 2.50 each or three for $6.00 Two of those a day plus the cost of the fruit which was about $2 each.

Now shes finally taking ground turkey with fruit mixed in thank jesus. The turkey is like $5 for about 2lbs. and that mixed with a couple grapes or half a bananna will last about 4 days. and my tegu is now over a year old.

Hope that helps but if you can buy in bulk from rodent pro or whoever by all means do so.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
try not to feed too much banana its not good as a staple diet. maybe a couple times a month as a treat. theres a thread on here all about why bananas are not good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029